Data Loss Prevention

View Only
  • 1.  Space optimization on DLP 14.6 Oracle DB

Posted Mar 22, 2017 03:46 PM

We have just migrated to DLP 14.6 Oracle Standard Edition. On the previous version we were facing space issues, once deleting incidents didn’t free up space in their Oracle database.

I’ve seen DLP 14.6 has a new utility that can be run to reclaim space in their Oracle database, however, in my opinion it’s just workaround option to make the space when the issue occur. What I’m looking for is alternative to really prevent this issue.

I’ve discussed with DBAs and have heard two options to avoid this trap: Segregate table space for BLOB and VARCHAR2 Datatype utilization, which doesn’t fill blanc spaces. Both could reduce database fragmentation.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this change or any further information on it.

• 2.  RE: Space optimization on DLP 14.6 Oracle DB

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 23, 2017 10:52 PM

Not releasing the tablespace is by Oracle's design. We can reduce the need however by using external blob storage which puts the single largest components on the file system. That has the effect of using less Oracle space however does NOT use less space overall. When you delete incidents however we clean up the files on the filesystem which makes for a cleaner database and reduces the amount of space immediately rather than creating a database management task. That only works for incidents going forward and has DR and backup changes that have to be taken into account but it is one way to do it.

• 3.  RE: Space optimization on DLP 14.6 Oracle DB

Posted Mar 24, 2017 08:15 AM

There is no trap.

1. Increase the capacity available to the database.
    2. Reduce the amount of incidents (policy tuning, etc)
    3. Use the external storage on fileshares as John suggested