Endpoint Protection

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Symantec AntiVirus Enterprise v. 10.2.4.4000

• 1.  Symantec AntiVirus Enterprise v. 10.2.4.4000

Posted Jan 31, 2010 09:48 PM

I have looked at all the settings for Symantec AntiVirus Enterprise v. 10.2.4.4000 and there doesn't appear to be anything about spam. It appears to treat mass mailings as spam and so refuses to send them, even though Outlook puts a copy in Sent Items as if they were sent.

Any help would be most apprecitaed.

Bob Smith

• 2.  RE: Symantec AntiVirus Enterprise v. 10.2.4.4000

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 01, 2010 12:32 AM
    enterprise, mostly you are referring to suite here. you may post this query in SMS Domino /mail exchange forum.

• 3.  RE: Symantec AntiVirus Enterprise v. 10.2.4.4000

Posted Feb 01, 2010 01:35 AM
     SAV 10.2 doesn't have anti Spam capabilities for that you will have to go for Symantec's brightmail antispam.

• 4.  RE: Symantec AntiVirus Enterprise v. 10.2.4.4000

Posted Feb 01, 2010 05:06 AM
    Just to confirm: this is the correct forum for SAV 10.2 questions.

Bob, can you provide more details and what exactly you are seeing-?

Thanks and best regards,

Mick

• 5.  RE: Symantec AntiVirus Enterprise v. 10.2.4.4000

Posted Feb 02, 2010 04:30 PM
    Thanks Mick and others.

I will supply more details later today re this issue, which needs to be fixed ASAP.

Thanks for your fast replies and interest.

Bob

• 6.  RE: Symantec AntiVirus Enterprise v. 10.2.4.4000

Posted Feb 04, 2010 01:24 AM
    OK, here's the additional info:

The error message says:
    • There is a problem with your computer's email settings
    • The connection between your computer and your Internet Service Provider was broken before the email was completely sent. It does not mean that there was a problem with your Norton program.

Contact your ISP for help in correcting the settings.

We are using
    Symantec AntiVirus Enterprise v. 10.2.4.4000 in independent mode on a PC running Windows XP Pro with Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 as the email program. The problem is that when we do a mass email using our database, the error message pops up after the messages are sent again and again for each email address that was used, and you have to close each one before the next will appear. Then after you've done that as many times as necessary, it looks like they were sent anyway. However, the recipients don't get them.

When we turn off the Internet E-mail Auto-Protect in Symantec Antivirus, there is no error message and the emails are sent successfully. This strongly suggests to me that it is the Symantec program that is the problem. 

• 7.  RE: Symantec AntiVirus Enterprise v. 10.2.4.4000

Posted Feb 04, 2010 07:29 PM
    I was hoping to avoid a re-install of this product, but before I resort to that are there any other suggestions re a possible alternative? Are there any settings I can change without simply turning off the outgoing email scanner? The scanner is simply not allowing a mass mailing through our data base.

Thanks

• 8.  RE: Symantec AntiVirus Enterprise v. 10.2.4.4000

Posted Feb 05, 2010 12:36 PM
    Hi Bob,

The email component shouldn't affect whether mails are delivered or not.  In the circumstances that you describe, it basicly just displays the response (error, delay, etc) codes that it recieves from a remote mail server.  It adds visibility to what the mail client  and server are doing "under the hood."

If you do not wish to continue using the Email scanner, there is no need for a complete uninstall and reinstall.  I recommend using Add/remove Programs to adjust what SAV 10.2 components you are using.  Just click "Change," "Next," Modify" and adjust it so that "AntiVirus Email Protection" has a red X, "This feature will nto be available."

Be sure to let the forum know if this solves the issue!

Thanks and best regards,

Mick

• 9.  RE: Symantec AntiVirus Enterprise v. 10.2.4.4000

Posted Feb 05, 2010 07:16 PM
    Hi Mick,

Thanks for your reply.

"If you do not wish to continue using the Email scanner, there is no need for a complete uninstall and reinstall."

The problem is, we don't particulaly wont to disable this feature. If you are advising we do, does it mean that the problem lies in SAV? And, if so, shouldn't there be a better fix that just removing the component causing the problem - I mean, if the email scanner is causing the errors/faults, why is it doing so, and surely there must be a fix?

I'll leave it with you, and thanks again for your help.

Bob

• 10.  RE: Symantec AntiVirus Enterprise v. 10.2.4.4000

Posted Feb 08, 2010 03:06 AM

Hi Bob,

In my experience that SAV mail component does not cause this problem. It's a lightweight scanner that does not alter what it sends unless there is a threat (virus, etc) found. 

The messages it displays are coming from the mail server to which mail is being sent.  If that mail server is treating your mass-mailings as spam, I would contact that mail server's owner (your ISP, most likely) and ask them why. (My expectation is that they are treating some of your mass mailings as spam whether you have the SAV email tools installed or not.)

Thanks and best regards,

Mick

• 11.  RE: Symantec AntiVirus Enterprise v. 10.2.4.4000

Posted Feb 09, 2010 03:15 AM
    Hi Mick,

We uninstalled  SAV EP and the emails get sent and received without any problems, so what do you suggest we do? I'm at a loss.

• 12.  RE: Symantec AntiVirus Enterprise v. 10.2.4.4000

Posted Feb 09, 2010 05:45 AM
    Hi Bob,

Have you asked your ISP about the issue?  I'm certain that that's where the root of the issue is.  To help them out, you may want to have specific mails on hand, along with the specific error messages that were reflected by the Email Tools component's pop-up: "554 5.7.1 Message rejected under the suspicion of SPAM," "554 Too many recipients," "571 Message Refused," or similar.

The Email Tools do not add anything to message headers, change the sender, or make any otehr changes to how mails are normally sent. 

Hope this helps!

Thanks and best regards,

Mick