Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
  • 1.  Symantec Client Migration 3.0.2 with SQL Server 2005

Posted May 17, 2007 04:49 AM
    I can not seem to find anywaqy to get Symantec Client Migration 3.0.2 to work with the SQL Server 2005.
    The server is in mixed mode however it refuses to install. Is it possible to install it as MSDE upgrade the MSDE database to 2005 and re attach it to the SQL server? Or if possible just have it work directly with 2005?

• 2.  RE: Symantec Client Migration 3.0.2 with SQL Server 2005

Posted May 17, 2007 04:51 AM
    SQL Server 2005
    ---------------
    Before installing Symantec Client Migration on a computer running SQL
    Server 2005 do the following:
    Prior to installation of Symantec Client Migration
    1. Install the SQL Server Management Tools component.
    2. Using the SQL Server 2005 Surface Area Configuration tool, enable
      'Local and remote connections' using TCP/IP.
    This must be done for both local and remote installations.

I read this but it doesn't seem to be working. I will keep trying however

• 3.  RE: Symantec Client Migration 3.0.2 with SQL Server 2005

Posted May 17, 2007 05:37 PM
    Hi,

It is quite hard to diagnose the actual problem from your description and I'll need to ask you to elaborate a little bit. By 'not working' do you mean:
    • SCM would not install when you have SQL 2005 on your machine?
    • SCM installs but you cannot connect to database using Control Centre?
    • SCM installs and you can connect to database using Control Centre but you cannot connect from any client machine using browser?
    If it is the first item then I can suggest one of the two options: a) install MSDE that comes with SCM or b) double-check SQL 2005 configuration options to make sure that not only TCP options are set but also security authentication set to "SQL and Windows". I would also like to ask you to dig out SCM installation logs (you can find them in "c:\doc&sett\all users\application data\symantec\client migration\3.0\data\logs folder. If you can zip those up and forward it to my personal address eugenem@slingshot.co.nz this would be great.

If it is any of the other two options then we'll need to troubleshoot both IIS and SQL connections.

For the second case I'll SCMControlCentre.log from the folder above (after you have tried connecting and was unsuccessful).

For the third case I'll need IIS logs that you can find under same folder in subfolder 'W3SVC500').

As an aside question - would you consider using GSS 1.1 or GSS 2.0 instead of standalone SCM 3.x? What are the reasons for you to use SCM 3x?

Reason am asking is that we have expanded SCM into a fully integrated feature of Ghost suite (now called Symantec User Migration). This suite will still provide you with centralised console and storage, integrated automatic migration from colsole, standalone UI as well as fully scriptable solution. On top of that it has no ties to IIS, COM, SQL or any other 3rd party tools.

• 4.  RE: Symantec Client Migration 3.0.2 with SQL Server 2005

Posted May 17, 2007 06:32 PM
    Adding to Eugene's comments -

It is important to specify the correct sql server instance name.

To determine the correct instance name start up the sql server management studio and log in. The instance name is typically displayed as [MachineName]\[InstanceName].

Use this format when specifying the SQL Server to connect to during the installation - by default only [MachineName] is available in the selection list.

Also, the password you specify on the "Database connection password" : "Choose a new Symantec Client Migration master database password" page of the symantec client migration installer must comply with any security policy being enforced on the machine or installation will fail. A password with the format MyName_99 will pass the default windows password complexity test.

If you are installing to a remote sql server a good test to determine connectivity to the remote server is to use the osql command line tool.

Lastly, remember to restart your machine (or just the SQL Server service) after making changes to the sql server configuration.

• 5.  RE: Symantec Client Migration 3.0.2 with SQL Server 2005

Posted May 18, 2007 02:47 AM
    The SQL server is a local Server. I have the tools installed. I verified that the database is in mixed mode. MY password meets the complexity requirements (I can uncheck the requirement in the tools however). It also doesn't use certain special characters that SQL doesn't like. I tried to connect directly to the named instance on the server after only the machine name was present.

The Software gives me an error at picking the server and says "pelase configure your SQL server for mixed mode". When I try to attach to the database.

I know I am in mixed mode becuase I can both logon using sa with password and with my Domain user account. (plus it says its in mixed mode in the server tools)

I really don't want to use MSDE as it has been replaced by SQL 2005 express (which is free and much more useful anyway)

The version I have is the version from my orgs Enterprise agreement. It was included in the Symantec Solutions Suite ( I got the version number for SCM from the readme). I will check to see if we have mait and upgrade rights to a newer release. We are currently using 1.1 it seems like.

Edit they have 2.0 posted as well but you can't find it directly so I am downloading that version now.. I will try using that version instead.

• 6.  RE: Symantec Client Migration 3.0.2 with SQL Server 2005

Posted May 18, 2007 03:00 AM
    I did write to complain to our distibution people however :) that they need to keep us updated and fix their links for software when we get a new version :) I will try 2.0 out and see if that fixes the issue. (now that I found our sites link for it buried on some non descript page)

• 7.  RE: Symantec Client Migration 3.0.2 with SQL Server 2005

Posted May 20, 2007 10:32 PM
    Great to hear that you are to try GSS 2.0! One thing to note that in the trial copy you do not get standalone migration wizard UI, which could be run either standalone or be scriptable (just like automigrate from SCM 3.x days). But you do get fully integrated migration solution that you can use from your Ghost console. Standalone wizard UI has been shifted from the html to native world. It provides all functions that Automigrate used to do in SCM 3.x and also optional strong encryption of user packages and peer-to-peer migration.

From your other post, it looks like the error you are getting is during an install of SCM when it tries establishing connection to SQL. If you want to pursue SQL 2005 path then I'll need the installer logs forwarded to my personal email please (please see my previous posts). My Symantec address wont help because corporate policy strips off most of the incomming attachments:smileysad:

• 8.  RE: Symantec Client Migration 3.0.2 with SQL Server 2005

Posted Sep 09, 2009 08:20 AM
    we ended up with GSS 2.5 I forgot to mention that. It seemed to fix most of those issues.