Endpoint Encryption

View Only
  • 1.  Symantec Endpoint Encryption 8.2.1 API / Detection Method

Posted May 13, 2013 12:55 PM

I am looking for an API for SEE 8.2.1 or registry detection to determine if a machine is encrypted or decrypted.

We are automating our Win 7 MIP and need to detect when a machine is fully encrypted for the whole drive.

• 2.  RE: Symantec Endpoint Encryption 8.2.1 API / Detection Method

Posted May 13, 2013 01:37 PM

I'd like an answer to this as well. 

I wrote a batch script that queries the regkey "HKLM\Software\Encryption Anywhere\Hard Disk\EAFS\Disk0" and captures the state of the following 4 values:

• DecryptionInProgress
    • EncryptionInProgress
    • StatusDecrypted
    • StatusEncrypted

This key is normally inaccessible to the user but you can raise the permissions by granting Full Control to that key to an account or group that has local admin rights on that machine.

Actually I found through trial and error that I need to grant permissions to the Disk0 key and the EAFS key above it. 

I use the fantastic freeware SETACL64.EXE tool to do this (http://helgeklein.com/setacl).

So the actual commands in the script are:

• setacl64.exe -on "\\%_REMPCNAME%\hklm\software\encryption anywhere\hard disk\eafs" -ot reg -actn ace -ace "n:%_SEEREGELEV%;p:full" -silent
    • setacl64.exe -on "\\%_REMPCNAME%\hklm\software\encryption anywhere\hard disk\eafs\disk0" -ot reg -actn ace -ace "n:%_SEEREGELEV%;p:full" -silent

Where %_REMPCNAME% is the name of the remote client and %_SEEREGELEV% is the domain account or group that has local admin rights.

Also, I use Sysinternals PSEXEC to actually execute SETACL64 remotely in the System context.

While all this works tolerably well, it's not optimized for speed.  I am curious if Symantec has a better solution.

Roland