Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition

View Only
  • 1.  Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager/Console v. 12.1.5 Concerns

Posted Dec 11, 2014 08:49 PM
    Hi everyone,

Kindly enlighten us on how to use 'Inherit policies and settings.." configuration. I have two concerns, kindly refer to the attached document for the illustrations:

1) Why do I get this notification when I click on a shared policy in a group wherein the "Inherit Policy" box is unchecked?
     2) Why is Firewall policy greyed in each group that have "Inherit Policy" box checked?

OTHER CONCERNS:

1) I believe that each workstation has two methods to fetch an update, from console and via web.  How can I verify this settings in the console? and in the workstation?  I want a settings that a computer will pickup an update from the console while in the office LAN.  Furthermore, a computer that is outside the office LAN and connected to the Internet will pickup update from Symantec server.

2) I cannot view all computers in my JEMCO company.  I have to go to each group/department we created under JEMCO company in order to view the workstations. How can I view in one page all workstations with its status?

3) How can I set a policy for this scenario.  The computer will not have access torrent web sites while connected to the office LAN.  BUT if the said computer is out of the office LAN, torrent web sites will be accessible.

4) I want to receive an email alert in every virus or threat detected by Symantec in each workstation.  I want to receive an email report from the console for daily and monthly statistics of threat detected by Symantec. How will I set this up?

5) I cannot locate the Web Filter in Symantec console.  How can I verify if the Symantec Endpoint we have is capable of URL filtering and has web access virus protection?

6) Is the license transferable? Say, one old computer with Symantec is removed in our LAN and replaced with a new one.  Can we transfer the Symantec installed from the old computer to the new computer?  I believe that the console has its way to count/monitor the number of workstations it will maintain based on the license bought.  How will the console react in this situation?

• 2.  RE: Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager/Console v. 12.1.5 Concerns
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 15, 2014 12:48 PM

See my response in the other thread I posted to. The only one it can't do is the web filtering. Inheritance means the child group gets policies from the top group. In order to apply policies to individual group, you need to break inheritance on them. For multiple policies per group, use location awareness http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH98211

1) Clients get updates from the SEPM, Symantec LiveUpdate, or GUPs.

2) Yes, Go to the Clients page and edit the filter settings to show more PCs. Limit is 1000 per page

3) You can use location awareness to setup 2 locations, one for ON network,on for OFF network. Create two different firewall policies to allow while OFF and block while ON and assign.

Setting up Scenario Two location awareness conditions

4) Setting up administrator notifications

5) Not possible with SEPM although you can use the firewall to block access to sites.

6) You just need to delete the client from the console to free up licenses. They apply automatically.

• 3.  RE: Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager/Console v. 12.1.5 Concerns

Posted Dec 15, 2014 09:18 PM

Thank you so much Sir Brian for this informative answers. 

Best Regards,

Anthony

• 4.  RE: Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager/Console v. 12.1.5 Concerns

Posted Dec 15, 2014 09:27 PM

Always happy to help.

• 5.  RE: Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager/Console v. 12.1.5 Concerns

Posted Dec 16, 2014 01:07 AM

Anyway, Sir Brian do you have also documentations or guide on firewall policy configurations? Thank you.

• 6.  RE: Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager/Console v. 12.1.5 Concerns

Posted Dec 16, 2014 01:17 AM

Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager - Firewall - Policies explained

Article:TECH104433  | Created: 2008-01-20  | Updated: 2010-11-30  | Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH104433

• 7.  RE: Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager/Console v. 12.1.5 Concerns