Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
  • 1.  System Restore Error 546 A:/GHOSTERR.TXT on Asus 1000HD

Posted Jul 11, 2012 02:57 PM

My son's Asus computer stopped working (I'm pretty sure it was a virus) and I thought doing a system restore would be the fastest and easiest fix.  I changed the boot sequence to boot from the CD.  When I put the restore disk in it seemed like everything was loading fine.  Ghost32 11.0 came up and I confirmed to do the restore.  About 30 seconds into it and error box came up ----  File Name ? (546)   Output error file to the following locations:  A:\GHOSTERR.TXT.  When I hit OK another box comes up ----Error    Cannot open GHOSTERR.TXT - insert diskette (434).  So my only other option is Cancel and when I hit that another box pops up ----Application Error 29004    Read sectore failure, result = 1, drive = 0, sectors 125984426 to 125984434.  If the problem persists, contact Symantec Technical Support.  So here I am!!!  The computer does not have an A drive so I'm not sure where to go from here.  Any help anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you so much in advance.

• 2.  RE: System Restore Error 546 A:/GHOSTERR.TXT on Asus 1000HD

Posted Jul 13, 2012 09:03 AM

...moved to (what I think is...) the correct forum...

• 3.  RE: System Restore Error 546 A:/GHOSTERR.TXT on Asus 1000HD

Posted Jul 13, 2012 09:55 AM

The old versions of Ghost assumed you had a floppy drive as your A: drive and this was the logical place to write an error log when booting from CD as you cannot write error logs to the CD or to the failing hard disk.

If you search this forum on your error number 29004 you will get a list of past postings where this error has been discussed. This thread: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/error-29004-when-trying-create-image confirms that the 29004 error is a hard sector read error. What is not clear from your posting is whether this is an error caused by a defective CD if that is where you are restoring your image from, or a defective hard disk.

What puzzles me is that the sector numbers you have quoted are over 60Gb from the beginning of the disk, which suggests to me that your image is stored on the second partition of your hard disk, or you have a huge image and are restoring from a very large stack of over 100 CDs or a pile of over 15 DVDs.

Assuming my guess is correct, and this restore is from another partition on the hard disk, then I would suspect that your hard disk has suffered either a hardware failure, or the virus has corrupted both/all partitions.  Either of these mean that you may not achieve a successful recovery and will have to rebuild the machine from scratch after possibly having to replace the hard disk.