Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

There is no valid source drive to choose (11032)

• 1.  There is no valid source drive to choose (11032)

Posted Apr 07, 2009 10:13 AM

Hi,

We are trying to take an image off a HP Compaq 6735s laptop but we keep getting the above error message. Ghost will not detect the hard drive. The hard drive is a SATA hard drive. We are using a drive mapping boot disk and we have run ghost with the -dd switch and there is no drive information at all. The SATA is set to IDE rather than AHCI in BIOS.

Help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

COPHS IT Support

• 2.  RE: There is no valid source drive to choose (11032)
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 07, 2009 10:24 AM

Hello,

If it is not recognizing the hard drive, here are a couple of options. First, add these switches to the task or boot package:

-FNI -FFX -NOIDE -NOUSB

If that fails, you will need to get the Vista driver for the chipset, add that to the Ghost Boot Wizard and recreate the boot package. here are instructions for adding the driver:

How to add drivers to DeployAnywhere or WinPE.
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/on-technology.nsf/docid/2008050916132860 

• 3.  RE: There is no valid source drive to choose (11032)

Posted Apr 08, 2009 03:15 AM
     Hi,

Do you use DOS or WinPE for this operation? From your description, you seems to be using DOS. More and more BIOSs are becoming incompatible with DOS so the best option is to use WinPE (or Linux ) for new hardware. If you can't see the devices still, the link given in Randall's post gives the instructions to add drivers to WinPE.

Krish

• 4.  RE: There is no valid source drive to choose (11032)

Posted Apr 08, 2009 05:18 AM
    Hi,

I put the switches in and this has solved the problem.

Thanks,

COPHS IT Support

• 5.  RE: There is no valid source drive to choose (11032)

Posted Aug 05, 2009 02:08 PM

I am desperately trying to ghost this machine. I made a boot disk from the 8139....judging from your response above , i think i need a similar remedy...can you please send me the necessary fixes and therin instructions...i appreciate it ...thanks...

• 6.  RE: There is no valid source drive to choose (11032)

Posted Aug 24, 2009 06:04 PM

Can you give me more detail instructions on how to add the line below to the task or boot pakage?

-FNI -FFX -NOIDE -NOUSB

I have the same laptop Compaq 6735s and keep getting the 11032 error. 

Thanks,

Michael Peterson

• 7.  RE: There is no valid source drive to choose (11032)

Posted Aug 24, 2009 06:17 PM

Can you give me more detail

Can you give me more detail instructions on how to add the line below to the task or boot pakage?

-FNI -FFX -NOIDE -NOUSB

I have the same laptop Compaq 6735s and keep getting the 11032 error. 

Thanks,

Michael Peterson

• 8.  RE: There is no valid source drive to choose (11032)

Posted Sep 02, 2009 04:22 PM
    I get this same error 'There is no valid source drive to choose from (11032)'
    when using ghost.exe v11.5, but not with ghost.exe v8.2 (on an HP 6735b laptop).
    I tried the '-FNI -FFX -NOIDE -NOUSB' trick with no joy. Any other suggestions?
    Joel henry

• 9.  RE: There is no valid source drive to choose (11032)

Posted Dec 11, 2009 09:04 PM

I'm trying to create an image for a new HP 6730 laptop and am also getting the error 11032 after running sysprep.....it happens after running ghost (current switches that I run are -ntil -span -auto).  I've switched the BIOS to IDE (from SATA) to avoid the annoying BSOD (thought it was interesting that the last poster has the 6735 HP laptop).

I'm currently running:

Ghost 11
    sysprep (for Win SP3)

......and have installed the following mass storage controller driver:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=3687777&prodNameId=3687780&swEnvOID=1093&swLang=13&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=ob-76145-1

......and I've tried to tweak the .inf file to include the following:

[Sysprep]
    Automatically generates the entries in the [SysprepMassStorage] section.
    [SysprepMassStorage]
    Allows you to use the same image on computers with different mass-storage devices.

Unfortunately, none of this has solved my problem.  My next step is to run the switches mentioned above (-FNI -FFX -NOIDE -NOUSB) so I'll be sure to post again once I've tried that. 

• 10.  RE: There is no valid source drive to choose (11032)

Posted Dec 12, 2009 11:34 AM
    Does your build work OK if you boot up without running ghost?  (ie do the SATA drivers mount OK with the bios set to AHCI or SATA mode?). If it does, then we can focus on your ghost process as this is unrelated to sysprep.
    Having sysprepped the machine, you now have an image on hard disk that you wish to capture for installation on other machines.
    In order to be able to capture this image, the boot system you use from which you run ghost, has to be able to "see" the hard disk.
    You don't mention whether you are booting from a DOS or a WinPE environment, but the bottom line is that if you boot your DOS or WinPE system to a command prompt, can you see the files on the laptop hard disk?  Switching the bios to IDE mode **may** work, but if you are using a DOS boot system, you may still have problems with disk sizes greater than 132Gb due to the 32 bit LBA addressing limit.
    When working with modern SATA hardware, I would strongly recommend using WinPE as the boot environment, as WinPE natively supports many SATA hard disk chipsets, and is easily updated with new drivers for chipsets that are not yet natively supported.

Once you can see the files on the laptop hard disk, getting ghost to work should be quite straightforward. If you contine to have problems with Ghost, WinPE has its own imaging tool called Imagex which creates WIM files. I have found this to be more reliable than Ghost with modern hardware, and its free too. Since it excludes swap files and other irrelevant content automatically, it also generates smaller images than Ghost (in my experience).

• 11.  RE: There is no valid source drive to choose (11032)

Posted Dec 21, 2009 03:51 PM
    Thanks....you really sent me in the right direction and I was finally able to image these new laptops we have.  The problem was that we were running Ghost 11.5 for DOS but this was the first time that we had ever ordered PCs with hard drives > 80 GB (I didn't know about the 132 GB max that you mentioned).  I used the Ghost Boot Wizard from GSS 2.5 to create a WinPE boot CD, used the net use command to map to a network drives where our images are stored and then everything was fine. 

Thank you!!