Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Uninstalled SEP 11.0 and lost internet connectivity

Posted Jan 24, 2010 03:07 PM
    After noticing that Symantec Endpoint Protection version 11.0 was experiencing some problems with the LiveUpdate, I uninstalled SEP using the usual Windows Uninstall procedures. I am running Windows Vista on a Toshiba Satellite laptop. During the uninstallation, it seemed to stall during "stopping submission service". I had to use Task Manager to stop the process. After another unsucessful try, I noticed that I no longer had internet connectivity. Both wireless and ethernet adapters are working correctly. I have tried reinstalling Endpoint, but nothing seems to work. All other functions of the laptop are ok. I am a mamber of the Tennessee Air National Guard, and this edition of SEP was provided free of charge by my unit's computer people, evidently through some agreement with Symantec. I am acessing this site on another computer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.  

• 2.  RE: Uninstalled SEP 11.0 and lost internet connectivity

Posted Jan 24, 2010 08:11 PM
    install symantec endpoint
    go to add/remove programs
    select symantec endpoint
    select change
    select modify
    remove proactive threat protection  ( this feature will not be available)
    do the same for network threat protection
    complete the install
    check if that works

• 3.  RE: Uninstalled SEP 11.0 and lost internet connectivity
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 24, 2010 09:55 PM

o Right - click My Computer icon on the desktop and click Manage
    o On the Computer Management snap-in, click Device Manager
    o Expand Network adapters in the right pane
    o You may see a yellow exclamation mark next to the network adapter in question
    o Right click on the network adapter and click uninstall
    o After the drivers are uninstalled, reboot the system
    oThe system will automatically detect the network adapter hardware and install the drivers
    o The client should regain the network connectivity. 

Note - Windows will automatically install the drivers for the on-board network adapter. In case of an add-on network adapter card, the drivers need to installed from the hardware manufacturer's CD.

• 4.  RE: Uninstalled SEP 11.0 and lost internet connectivity

Posted Jan 24, 2010 09:58 PM
     Removal of the Symantec Endpoint Protection client from a machine results in loss of network connectivity
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/docid/2007122214401348

I think the article above will help. If you have any questions while you are working your way through it please feel free to ask : )

Grant-

• 5.  RE: Uninstalled SEP 11.0 and lost internet connectivity

Posted Jan 25, 2010 05:33 PM
    Ok, well here is what I have tried so far;
    The above suggestions were of no help at all, but thanks anyway...I found a document on the Symantec web site (Document ID 2007080209280848, "How to manually uninstall Symantec Endpoint Protection client from Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 2008 32-bit") which described in detail how to manually uninstall SEP client. This includes doing some rather involved removal of registry keys and getting rid of the Teefer2 driver and everything associated with it. However, after I followed all the instructions to the letter, i had successfully uninstalled SEP, but I am still left with no connectivity. Both adapters (wireless and LAN) are working fine. We have an identical laptop which is working great on the same wireless router, and it will even work with the same ethernet cable I am trying on the affected laptop. So I know the router and cable are not the problem. I see a lot of mention about the TEEFER thing which seems to attach itself to both the network adapters. I have never seen any indication of this Teefer before I attempted to uninstall and reinstall SEP. I have tried uninstalling the adapters and restarting the laptop, but the same thing keeps happening. At one point I have actually had SEP uninstalled cleanly and reinstalled cleanly, but I still end up with no connectivity except for local.....no internet access at all. After the successful reinstallation of SEP, it cannot run liveupdate because there is no internet connection. I have been working this for the last 3 days and its starting to drive me a little crazy! lol...

I could sure use a hand!