Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Uninstalling SEP from server with SBS 2008

Posted Nov 18, 2010 04:19 PM

Hello, can someone tell me the best way to do a complete uninstall of SEP (11.0.6) from a server with Small Business Server 2008?  The scenario is as follows, the server is new and does not have any installed software but the OS and a shut down utility for the UPS.  I first installed the Protection Manger thinking I was going to use it to deploy the software on the clients.  I later decided I was just going to install the clients locally on each machine since there is not that many.  So I then attempted to uninstall the Protection manager from the server using the uninstall programs in the control panel.  The uninstall failed citing that I did not have the proper permission to perform the uninstall despite the fact that I was logged on as the server admin.  I next installed the client software on the server, which appeared to have gone successfully.  After being prompted to restart, the server would not finish booting up without booting in safe mode.  In safe mode, I disabled all Symantec software and then reboted successfully.  I then attempted to uninstall the Symantec software several other times, each time the server would freeze at the point of the window saying preparing to install.  If I tried to use the task manager to cancel the process, it would further freeze, eventually requiring a hard restart.  What I want to do is get rid of all the Symantec products so that I can reinstall it from scratch (client software only).  is there an uninstall tool for SEP like there is for the other Norton products?  if not any suggestions?  Thanks in advance...

• 2.  RE: Uninstalling SEP from server with SBS 2008

Posted Nov 18, 2010 06:01 PM

In order to get a copy of this utility you would need to call into support and open a case. They may be able to assist you in resolving the issue without the use of CleanWipe as well.

• 3.  RE: Uninstalling SEP from server with SBS 2008

Posted Nov 19, 2010 02:07 PM

Here are some helpful documents for doing a manual uninstall of the manager and clients.

Manual uninstallation documents for Symantec Endpoint Protection -

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH96924&locale=en_US

Thomas