Email Security.cloud

View Only
  • 1.  Unreasonable "554 Spam Mail Refused" bounce

Posted Mar 01, 2017 07:31 PM

We are unable to send emails to Email Security.cloud protected email address through our VPS - We are receiving "554 Spam Mail Refused" bounce.

However, the VPS IP, 124.217.254.69, is clean according to IP Address Investigation Request tool:
    http://ipremoval.sms.symantec.com/lookup/

Please advice/help.

• 2.  RE: Unreasonable "554 Spam Mail Refused" bounce

Posted Mar 02, 2017 09:29 AM

Hello Valse,

Thank you for providing details of the bounce. This is not blocked by the Symantec Email Security.Cloud service. Our system is not configured to answer with this error. However what the bounce does state is that we attempted to relay the mail on behalf of the sender. If you provide me a full copy of the bounce, I may be able to provide you with more information. if privacy is a concern, feel free to send me a private message.

Regards,

Ben Beaulieu
    Sr Technical Support Engineer

• 3.  RE: Unreasonable "554 Spam Mail Refused" bounce

Posted Mar 02, 2017 10:04 AM

Ben,thanks for looking into this issue.

I have sent you the full copy of bounce message via private message.

• 4.  RE: Unreasonable "554 Spam Mail Refused" bounce
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 07, 2017 10:22 PM

Updated the thread with offline conversations:

Thanks for the bounce. I took a look at it and it is as I suspected. The email seems to be in regards to LabFriends, who leverages our service for mail. The email was attempted to be delivered to the recipient, but their server rejected it as spam according to the error they responded with.

To: xxxxx@xxxxx.com
    Date: Wed Mar 1 08:30:59 2017
    Msg Size: 6183
    Delivery attempt failure - permanent
    Attempted delivery 37/9A-04479-3C686B85 to 208.43.64.122 on Wed Mar 1 08:31:14 2017
    Error Message: "554 Spam Mail Refused (spamometer hits: 5.6)"

Sadly there is no way for us to fully know why they blocked it as spam. I could be due to many reason, and only the admin of their email system is in a position to assist. Typically, without knowing the contact, reaching out to their postmaster@ their domain might help. What I can see is that we transferred the whole email before they rejected it, so typically this means they are blocking based on a detection configuration on their system against something in the body.

I hope this helps. If it does, please feel free to mark the forum thread as resolved. Thank you.

• 5.  RE: Unreasonable "554 Spam Mail Refused" bounce

Posted Mar 07, 2017 10:22 PM

Updating the post with part of the bounce message, I hope this helps:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the mail delivery agent at Symantec Email Security.cloud.

I was unable to deliver your message to the following addresses:

xxxxx@xxxxx.com

Reason: 554 Spam Mail Refused (spamometer hits: 5.6)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------