Messaging Gateway

View Only
  • 1.  "Unscannable due to limits exceeded" with 11.5MB Excel file attachment

Posted May 15, 2017 08:10 AM

Hi,

We have an "Unscannable due to limits exceeded" error/bug with SMG v10.6.2-7 

Our SMTP content scanning options are as follows:

Maximum container scan depth:  20

Maximum time to open container:  60 Seconds   

Maximum individual file size when opened:  100MB  

Maximum accumulated file size when opened:  200MB

(the maximum message size set in SMTP settings is 50000000 in bytes ie about 50MB)

I have reproduced the error by sending a 17MB Excel file from my GMAIL account. The file contains a single number copied across 390,000 cells and has no formulae or macros.

Our (only) SMG v10.6.2-7 server is a single core VM with 8GB RAM running on HyperV 2012 R2. The hypervisor is running on an HP G9 server with dual Intel Xeon E5-2620v3 processors and 64MB RAM.

• 2.  RE: "Unscannable due to limits exceeded" with 11.5MB Excel file attachment

Posted May 15, 2017 08:11 AM

I have rebooted the SMG host and its still a problem.

• 3.  RE: "Unscannable due to limits exceeded" with 11.5MB Excel file attachment
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 16, 2017 10:31 AM

This is expected behavior. Microsoft Office files are zipped up, so when decompressed it exceeds the above stated limits. To test this, simple rename the .xlsx to .zip and extract it. You can then see the true size of the file.

• 4.  RE: "Unscannable due to limits exceeded" with 11.5MB Excel file attachment

Posted May 16, 2017 11:07 AM

Funnily enough I've tested this. I created a large excel file with fairly compressible data and used 7zip to decompress it. So 20MB became 240MB. So I upped the "Maximum accumulated file size when opened" to 800MB and the email was delivered. However since doing this i still cannot receive the original attachment I was expecting after getting the client to resend the ermail so I assume its something peculiar with the Excel file he's sending us.

Many thanks for your response.