Update Brightmail Gateway 8.0.3-11 to 9.0.0-20

Migration User

Migration UserApr 02, 2010 08:00 PM

Migration User

Migration UserJun 08, 2010 06:55 PM

• 1.  Update Brightmail Gateway 8.0.3-11 to 9.0.0-20

Posted Mar 15, 2010 04:44 AM
    Hello!

We are thinking about updating our gateways from Brightmail Version 8 to 9.
    Who did the update already and got any problems afterwards?

Regards
    Frank

• 2.  RE: Update Brightmail Gateway 8.0.3-11 to 9.0.0-20

Posted Mar 15, 2010 11:34 AM
    Hi Frank,

Thanks for starting a good discussion.  I would recommend everyone thinking about ugprading to Symantec Brightmail Gateway (SBG) version 9.0.0-20 to take a look at the following information before upgrading to avoid any potential issues:

a) SBG 9.0 Release Notes:
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-gate.nsf/docid/2010020114554754

b) How to ensure there is appropriate access from the Symantec Brightmail Gateway scanner to the configured LDAP servers.
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-gate.nsf/docid/2009082610493254

c) the Software Update Notes within the Control Center (Administration > Version > Updates > View Description )

Regards,

Adnan

• 3.  RE: Update Brightmail Gateway 8.0.3-11 to 9.0.0-20

Posted Mar 15, 2010 12:37 PM
    LDAP has moved from a Sync, to dynamic queries from each appliance.  So DMZ scanners will need LDAP access to an inside LDAP source, instead of just the Control Center.   Also, you can move to LDAP over SSL, and that will require firewall changes as well.

• 4.  RE: Update Brightmail Gateway 8.0.3-11 to 9.0.0-20

Posted Mar 16, 2010 12:03 PM

See also this posting:

"SBG 8.0.3 upgrade to 9.0-20 failure - Error During Software Update: An error has occurred during software update. Err Inappropriate ioctl for device..."
    http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/sbg-803-upgrade-90-20-failure

• 5.  RE: Update Brightmail Gateway 8.0.3-11 to 9.0.0-20

Posted Mar 19, 2010 04:19 AM
    We successfully updated from 8.0.3 to Version 9 with no problems.

Details:
    Running on VMware ESX 3.5 Update 4
    2 Scanners and 1 Controlcenter & Scanner

• 6.  RE: Update Brightmail Gateway 8.0.3-11 to 9.0.0-20

Posted Mar 19, 2010 11:03 AM
    Anyone looking to upgrade to version 9.0 should first look at the updated KB artilce about this known issue:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-gate.nsf/docid/2010031608442454

and the Updated Release Notes (paying special attention to Known Issues):

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-gate.nsf/docid/2010020114554754

Regards,

Adnan

• 7.  RE: Update Brightmail Gateway 8.0.3-11 to 9.0.0-20

Posted Apr 02, 2010 07:02 PM
    I am having probles after the upgrade. After backup up BMG 8 I copied it to antoher compuer. Then I go in through CC  and find the upgrade. Afterwards it downloads and updates then wihen it restart, it won't boot anymore. Anyone else have this problem?

• 8.  RE: Update Brightmail Gateway 8.0.3-11 to 9.0.0-20

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 02, 2010 07:10 PM

Uh oh, time for an OSrestore :(

It happens to the best of us. If you need to download the 8.0.3 ISO you'll want to visit https://fileconnect.symantec.com. Use Serial number TMP58392128 if you can't locate your serial number.

Once you reinstall 8.0.3, just restore to your backup file and try the upgrade again. Make sure to follow the steps in this document to avoid this in the future:

Title: 'How to upgrade a Symantec Mail Security Appliance or Symantec Brightmail Gateway to its latest release'
    Document ID: 2006110911420963
    > Web URL: http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-gate.nsf/docid/2006110911420963?Open&seg=ent

• 9.  RE: Update Brightmail Gateway 8.0.3-11 to 9.0.0-20

Posted Apr 02, 2010 08:00 PM
    Thanks I will give it a shot after I do the restore.

• 10.  RE: Update Brightmail Gateway 8.0.3-11 to 9.0.0-20

Posted Apr 05, 2010 01:43 PM

I followed the the Document above and get the same error:

root (hd0,0)
    Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
    kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.28-9_smsprod ro root=/devl/sda2 ramdisk_size=32768 console=t
    tyS0,9600 console=ttyl panic =5

Error 15: File not found

Press any key to continue...

I would hate to do a clean install and then reconfigure the CC settings again.

• 11.  RE: Update Brightmail Gateway 8.0.3-11 to 9.0.0-20

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 05, 2010 01:58 PM

Are you making sure to shut down all of the suggested services and stop mail flow during the upgrade?

• 12.  RE: Update Brightmail Gateway 8.0.3-11 to 9.0.0-20

Posted Apr 05, 2010 02:11 PM
    Yes I did. Followed the directions in the Document. I have tried both doing it both in the CC and on the console. Still no luck.

• 13.  RE: Update Brightmail Gateway 8.0.3-11 to 9.0.0-20

Posted Apr 09, 2010 02:01 PM
    After upgrading from 8.0.3 to 9.0.0, the error message appears when accessing to Aliases in Protocols > SMTP as displayed below.

Application Error

The application encountered an error. If you are the administrator, please check the log files for details.  

Click here to return to the previous page
    Click here to return to the login page

class java.util.NoSuchElementException: null
    	at java.util.ArrayDeque.removeFirst(Unknown Source)
    	at java.util.ArrayDeque.pop(Unknown Source)
    	at com.brightmail.util.BrightmailDepthFirstSearch.runDfs(BrightmailDepthFirstSearch.java:154)
    	at com.brightmail.util.BrightmailDepthFirstSearch.isCyclicDfs(BrightmailDepthFirstSearch.java:84)
    	at com.brightmail.bl.setting.AliasSettingsManager.isCyclicReferenceDetected(AliasSettingsManager.java:566)
    	at com.brightmail.pl.flow.setting.AliasFlow.list(AliasFlow.java:95)
    	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
    	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
    	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
    	at com.brightmail.pl.flow.CommandFlow.execCmd(CommandFlow.java:267)
    	at com.brightmail.pl.flow.CommandFlow.execCmd(CommandFlow.java:232)
    	at com.brightmail.pl.flow.CommandFlow.service(CommandFlow.java:172)
    	at com.brightmail.pl.flow.FlowServlet.service(FlowServlet.java:159)
    	at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:802)
    	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:252)
    	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:173)
    	at com.brightmail.pl.filter.AdministratorRoleChecker.doFilter(AdministratorRoleChecker.java:207)
    	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:202)
    	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:173)
    	at com.brightmail.pl.filter.SessionChecker.doFilter(SessionChecker.java:130)
    	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:202)
    	at com.brightmail.pl.filter.CacheBuster.doFilter(CacheBuster.java:93)
    	at com.brightmail.pl.filter.CharacterEncoder.doFilter(CharacterEncoder.java:93)
    	at com.brightmail.pl.filter.HostACL.doFilter(HostACL.java:323)
    	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:213)
    	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:178)
    	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:126)
    	at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:105)
    	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:107)
    	at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:148)
    	at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:868)
    	at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11BaseProtocol.java:663)
    	at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.processSocket(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:527)
    	at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.runIt(LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.java:80)
    	at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:684)
    	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Can anybody help me to fix this problem w/o performing OS restore? Thanks.

• 14.  RE: Update Brightmail Gateway 8.0.3-11 to 9.0.0-20

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 09, 2010 02:55 PM

This is almost certainly MySQL corruption, which is not something that can easily be fixed.

Try running a mysqlcheck and see fi that fixes it. If not, it an OSRestore and restore the backup file you made before the upgrade.

Running MySQLCheck on Brightmail Gateway 7.7 or higher:

Log in as support user to the Command Line Interface (CLI) on the appliance with Control Center . 
    Run the following command:

/opt/Symantec/Brightmail/mysql/bin/mysqlcheck -h127.0.0.1 -ubrightmailuser -p`cat /data/etc/.brightmailuser` brightmail --auto-repair

During the run of the above command, take note of any table names that may fail the repair.   (i.e. spam_message, spam_message_summary...) as these will need to be repaired manually.

Note: The acute symbol ( ` ) used in the -p switch is the one under the tilde ( ~ ) and not the one under the quotation marks ( " ).  

After MySQLcheck has finished it is recommended that a restart of the Control Center service as well as the MySQL service be preformed:

To restart the services, log in to the CLI as admin.
    enter the command:

service mysql restart.

After service restarts, enter the command service:

controlcenter restart.

• 15.  RE: Update Brightmail Gateway 8.0.3-11 to 9.0.0-20

Posted Apr 26, 2010 05:20 AM
    We got the exact same problem. Are you using this feature or did you  just notice that it didnt work?

We are using this quite alot and we have around 200-300 entrys in Aliases.

We tried running the mysql check but no errors were found in the db.

I have a case open and waiting for their reply...

BR

• 16.  RE: Update Brightmail Gateway 8.0.3-11 to 9.0.0-20

Posted May 02, 2010 12:21 AM
    I upgraded fine on a HP ESXi 4.0 server. I didn;t have a lot of custom configuration. That seens to be where all the problems come from. Just make sure you read the readme.

• 17.  RE: Update Brightmail Gateway 8.0.3-11 to 9.0.0-20

Posted Jun 08, 2010 06:50 PM

This is not a sql corruption issue.

I opened a ticket with support. After going back and fourth, trying to rebuild the alias database, creating it from scratch, etc,  the error continues to occur.

I'm told that it's an issue with the application itself, and not the aliases DB.

If you try to add aliases with multiple email recipents under more than one alias, you will get the "The application encountered an error" message.

Example:
    alias@abc.com joe@abc.com john@abc.com
    (all is ok so far)
    alias1@abc.com tom@abc.com nancy@abc.com
    (still good)
    alias2@abc.com john@abc.com
    (now you will see the error because john@abc.com appears in alias@abc.com)

Symantec is aware of it, but according to the tech engineer, they have no intentions on fixing the issue right now. Note that this all started after upgrading to version 9. This comes after plunking down over a grand to update premium content, and right on the heels of the Symantic Antivirus Corporate v8 virus definition issues.

Not happy.

Symantec... email me if you want a ticket number or speak with Nathaniel Martin-Long.

My workaround was to create a text file and import it. You'll still get an error, but after uploading it to your appliance, hit the back button on your browser. You'll see "the file imported successfully", and your aliases will work, however, you can not maintain them via the interface. PITA.

• 18.  RE: Update Brightmail Gateway 8.0.3-11 to 9.0.0-20

Posted Jun 08, 2010 06:55 PM

• 19.  RE: Update Brightmail Gateway 8.0.3-11 to 9.0.0-20

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 08, 2010 06:58 PM

I don't know why you think we will not be fixing it anytime soon. The documentation (written 2 weeks ago) from our backline (Level 3 support) engineer team says this will be addressed in the next release (9.0.2).

Title: 'The Protocols->Aliases page shows "Application Error" after upgrade to v9.0.x or addition of a new alias'
    Document ID: 2010052713072154
    > Web URL: http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-gate.nsf/docid/2010052713072154?Open&seg=ent

Granted this is not MySQL corruption, but the current fix is to remove the duplicate entries from the MySQL table manually. Please contact support if you aren't able to restore from a recent backup to fix this.

• 20.  RE: Update Brightmail Gateway 8.0.3-11 to 9.0.0-20

Posted Jun 08, 2010 08:01 PM

JDavis-

I can not remove the duplicate entries. They are not actually duplicates. I have aliases that need to go to to multiple recipients. I do not have the same email appearing twice in one alias, if that is what you mean.

I'm in the service industry. One alias is an email address that our clients use to refer work to us. Another alias is for them to report payments to us. I need to be in both alias entries, but v9 does not allow this.

The reason I mentioned that the issue was not being fixed anytime soon is because prior to the posting of document ID 2010052713072154, I was told by your support rep that there are no current plans to fix it anytime soon, and that it would "possibly" be in the next release. He acutally suggested that I post my issues here. Today was the first chance I had to do so.

However I am glad to hear that the issue will be addressed. Thank you for the update.

• 21.  RE: Update Brightmail Gateway 8.0.3-11 to 9.0.0-20

Posted Jun 09, 2010 11:21 PM

@bokfon

Make sure that there's no activity before performing the upgrade. configure the sbg for "Do not accept message" then reduce/delete spam quarantine message atleast 7 days older, reduce/delete logs message atleast 3 days older. flush all messages left in the message queues and perform the upgrade.
    I followed this instruction and succesfully upgrade the sbg 8.0 to 9.0 with no problem...

• 22.  RE: Update Brightmail Gateway 8.0.3-11 to 9.0.0-20

Posted Oct 07, 2010 02:51 AM

I successfully updated from 8.0.3 to Version 9 with no problems.

Details:
    Running on VMware ESX 4

1 Scanners and 1 Controlcenter & Scanner

• 23.  RE: Update Brightmail Gateway 8.0.3-11 to 9.0.0-20

Posted Oct 07, 2010 03:32 AM

I Successfuly upgrade 8.0.3 to 9.0 I dont encountered any problems.

• 24.  RE: Update Brightmail Gateway 8.0.3-11 to 9.0.0-20

Posted Oct 07, 2010 10:35 AM

Now that this is a 9.01 and a 9.02, we should be clear about which we are upgrading to.

I upgraded from 9.01 to 9.0.2 and am now getting  MTA crashed on Sig 11, and Sig 6