Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
  • 1.  Upgrading to GSS2.0.1 from GSS 1.1 - dB issue

Posted Jul 06, 2007 02:26 AM
    While performing this upgrade using the latest download GSS 2.0.1 executable (6th July), I get the following error message:  Cannot copy database file, update failed.  Please consult readme.txt.

Reading this, I found the section re running a VB script to retrieve the database username and password.  I copied the script from the readme.txt, pasted it into notepad, and saved as passwordutility.vbs into the ghost install directory. (C:\program files\symantec\ghost) on the server 2003 std edition server.  I then opened a command prompt at this location, and tried running passwordutility.vbs.   However, an error occurred in line 4 char 3 - remote procedure call failed. Code 800706BE.  Here is the VBScript as passwordutility.vbs:

' Access the Configuration Server service's root COM scripting object
     set server = CreateObject("ConfigServer.Application")
     ' Get the database configuration object from the configuration server
     set dbInfo = server.ConfigDatabase
     ' Obtain the current database username and password
     user = dbInfo.Username
     pass = dbinfo.Password
     set args = WScript.Arguments
     if args.Count = 0 then
       WScript.Echo "User: " & user
       WScript.Echo "Password: " & pass
     elseif args.Count = 1 then
       pass = args.item(0)
       call dbInfo.SetCredentials (user, pass)
       WScript.Echo "User: " & user
       WScript.Echo "Password set to: " & pass
     elseif args.count = 2 and args.item(0) = "dba" then
       pass = args.item(1)
       call dbInfo.SetCredentials ("dba", pass)
       WScript.Echo "DBA Password set to: " & pass
     end if

Hence the GSS database is not updated with the extra fields added by ver. 2.0.1. and the GSS config server thus shuts down.

• 2.  RE: Upgrading to GSS2.0.1 from GSS 1.1 - dB issue

Posted Jul 06, 2007 07:21 PM
    The installer for the upgrade contains a program that takes care of the database schema changes, and you really have to let that do its work; trying to copy databases between versions won't help, as you have discovered.

The best thing to do is to put your old 1.1 database back into a 1.1 installation, and try to upgrade that to 2.0 again; you can do that on a separate machine if you need to rather than downgrading your main server. The second time the upgrade should work, and then you can move the properly upgraded database back to the right server.