Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Upgrading SEP from 11 to 12.1.X using SCCM. Fails according to SCCM, but installs with issues that need to be fixed.

Posted Oct 21, 2014 04:28 PM
      |   view attached

Good afternoon,

I am having trouble deploying SEP 12.1.X.X for an upgrade on clients currently using 11.X. We initally tried to deploy using our AV server using the Endpoint Management console and some of these installations were successful but gave us all types of errors including the inability to add network printers (firewall settings probably) and "Browser Intrusion Prevention is malfunctioning" whenever opening a browser such as IE. The fix for this is a simple reinstallation of the SEP using the setup.exe after it is moved locally. I also tried to deploy and install this using SCCM 2007, created a package and advertisement to deploy the setup.exe to the client and run the installation. This all worked well initially but once the prompt to "reboot for symantec endpoint to make changes" occurred, the SCCM report status changes to FAILED and the same issues as stated above occur, although SEP 12 is indeed installed. 

I have a feeling there is an issue with the automated process to reboot the client, but am I missing some specifics in the setup.exe that are causing this to occur? It is only when manually reinstalled that the browser intrusion issues and firewall settings seem to work. Any type of push from SEP console or SCCM cause it to malfunction. Can anyone lead me in the right direction? 

Ive attached the SEP_INST.log from my test client that I just used for the SCCM push, maybe that can shed some light on why it malfunctions. Anything would help. Thanks in advanced!

Attachment(s)

zip
    SEP_INST.zip   145 KB 1 version

• 2.  RE: Upgrading SEP from 11 to 12.1.X using SCCM. Fails according to SCCM, but installs with issues that need to be fixed.

Posted Oct 21, 2014 04:31 PM

Not seeing any issues with the actual install, seems to be after the fact, which SEP_INST.log won't show. Have you run the symhelp tool on it to see what it shows?

How did you create the package?

• 3.  RE: Upgrading SEP from 11 to 12.1.X using SCCM. Fails according to SCCM, but installs with issues that need to be fixed.

Posted Oct 21, 2014 04:37 PM

The package meaning the .exe file? Im not sure exactly my boss was the one who created it. Lucky for me, hes out sick today and my Director wants 12 on all the clients ASAP. 

I will try the symhelp tool now. 

• 4.  RE: Upgrading SEP from 11 to 12.1.X using SCCM. Fails according to SCCM, but installs with issues that need to be fixed.

Posted Oct 21, 2014 04:40 PM

Should I be running the threat analysis scan or collect data for a support case? Thanks for the assistance and quick response.

• 5.  RE: Upgrading SEP from 11 to 12.1.X using SCCM. Fails according to SCCM, but installs with issues that need to be fixed.

Posted Oct 21, 2014 04:41 PM

Nether. Should just run the check for issues.

• 6.  RE: Upgrading SEP from 11 to 12.1.X using SCCM. Fails according to SCCM, but installs with issues that need to be fixed.

Posted Oct 21, 2014 04:42 PM

Try exporting a new package using the MSI not the single exe