Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Upgrading from Symantec Antivirus 9 (Corp Edition) to Norton Internet Security 2010 - Win XP SP3

Posted Dec 04, 2009 06:41 AM
    I am attempting the following (I had posted on Norton Forums and was redirected here):

2005 IBM Z60t Thinkpad purchased new in 2005
    Windows XP SP3
    Symantec Antivirus Full Version 9.0.5.1000, scan engine 91.2.1.10
    Checkpoint Integrity Flex version:6.0.202.000

I have crashed my IBM Z60t Thinkpad repeatedly while attempting to install NIS 2010.

I have recovered my Z60t three times in the past two days.  First two times, I had removed via add/remove on the Control Panel.  Third time, I used the feature in Symantec to remove the software first and then completed removal using the add/remove. 

In all three cases, NIS 2010 locked my computer once it reached the "... Launch in 10 seconds" message (or some equivalent message).  I had to force the machine to shut down and then I experienced computer stability issues ("Generic Host Process" failures), NIS 2010 would lock up if I selected it and I was unable to run my Recovery software in "Safe Mode"... NOTE:  I waited over 20 minutes during the third install attempt before I powered the system off using the power button.  During this time, the computer was not responding to ANY keyboard or mouse inputs and was essentially 'locked'.

To perform the recoveries, I had to resort to using my "ThinkVantage Rescue and Recovery" startup disk (glad I created it) and the latest ThinkVantage backup as of 12-2-2009 from my external backup/drive.

Of worthy note, I also have Checkpoint Integrity Flex firewall software installed (version 6.0.202.000).  I did not remove this software prior to attempting the NIS 2010 install (all three attempts). 

Should I remove the Checkpoint software once I have removed Symantec Antivirus 9? 

Are there other components that I need to check/remove prior to installing NIS 2010? 

Is there a removal tool that I can use to ensure my machine is "ready" prior to the next NIS 2010 installation attempt?

I intend to do another full backup of the system today... just in case I get adventurous and try to install Friday. 

Reason for attempting this install/upgrade:  I purchased the NIS 2010 license for up to 3 computers.  It is installed on a Lenovo 3000 K100 desktop in my home without any issues and I've downloaded and installed it on a customer's machine without issue (Vista).  NOTE:  The customer paid for the 1-year, 3 computer license for their machine.

I use my XP machine as a 'work computer' in the field and in my office for diagnosing and fixing customers' machines.  Would be nice to have both of my machines using NIS 2010 instead of having to remember to upgrade Symantec 9 definitions on the Z60t (automatic on the Vista machine).

From the Norton forum, I anticipate I will need to perform the following steps to move from Symantec Antivirus 9 (SA9) to NIS 2010:

1.  Perform full backup of the system.
    2.  Remove SA9 (is there a removal tool for this Symantec product that performs sufficient removal/cleanup?)
    3.  Remove Checkpoint Firewall software
    4.  Download and Install NIS 2010 for Windows XP

Please confirm.

• 2.  RE: Upgrading from Symantec Antivirus 9 (Corp Edition) to Norton Internet Security 2010 - Win XP SP3
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 04, 2009 08:58 AM
    Follow this link to manually remove SAV 9.x from your system reboot your system then install NIS 2010

Manually uninstalling Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition 9.x client from Windows NT/2000/XP/2003

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/docid/2004040815592148 

Or download Nonav utility to remove SAV 9.x from your computer follow this link for that
    https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/removal-sav-10x-nonav-tool

This will definitely resolve your issue..

• 3.  RE: Upgrading from Symantec Antivirus 9 (Corp Edition) to Norton Internet Security 2010 - Win XP SP3

Posted Dec 04, 2009 09:24 AM
    You should try Symantec CleanWipe utility.  You can only get it by opening a support ticket with Symantec (either on the phone or online).  Be sure to tell them that this is for Symantec Antivirus 9 (Corp Edition).  Once you have the utility:
    1. Run CleanWipe on the machine and choose all options
    2. After it is done, browse through the above manual uninstall instructions to make sure it is gone
    3. Go to http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039 and download and run the Norton Removal Tool to uninstall any of the broken Norton Internet Security 2010 installs
    4. Uninstall the Checkpoint Integrity Flex firewall
    5. Install Norton Internet Security 2010
    Let us know how it turns out.

• 4.  RE: Upgrading from Symantec Antivirus 9 (Corp Edition) to Norton Internet Security 2010 - Win XP SP3

Posted Dec 04, 2009 12:51 PM
    I've submitted the on-line request for Clean Wipe with SA9 Corp Edition qualified.

Will advise once I get a response.