Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Warning: The MR5 (11.0.5002) update causes servers to auto reboot and/or blue screen.

Posted Sep 23, 2009 11:57 AM
    All my servers had 11.0.4202, so I pushed out the latest 5002 update using SEPM. I selected "Upgrade groups with package" and selected the package, chose My Company, and used all the defaults, same as I always do the updates.
    It immediately forced all my Windows 2003 servers to reboot as soon as they received the update. Some of them even blue-screened and crashed instead.

From the event logs of the ones that rebooted:
    "The Windows Installer initiated a system restart to complete or continue the configuration of 'Symantec Endpoint Protection'.

From the ones that blue screened: I have a long list of messages like this:
    Product: Symantec Endpoint Protection. The file C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtCli.dll is being held in use by the following process Name: msiexec , Id 1064.

And right before the blue screen/auto reboot:
    Auto-Protect Error: Auto-Protect loaded the default configurationApplication has encountered an error.
    For more information, please go to: http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/servlet/ProductMessages?product=SAVCORP&version=11.0.5002.290&language=english&module=1000&error=0068&build=symantec_ent

I also noticed the network connection was lost for a few minutes before the blue screen, because my network monitors started alerting me that servers were down before they rebooted.

I've been using this process to update the clients since 11.0.0, and I've never had this happen before. I think Symantec needs more quality control, because this is absolutely unacceptable for a company like Symantec.

• 2.  RE: Warning: The MR5 (11.0.5002) update causes servers to auto reboot and/or blue screen.

Posted Sep 23, 2009 12:03 PM
    I just did 26 of 28 servers with no issues.
    Only one has a real issue and I blame the server for the most part.........
    The other was a user protection setting issue - turned off user control and it went fine.
    So technically, 27 of 28 worked well, one fluke.
    About a dozen clients updated so far as well - no issues.
    I wonder if you have some corruption in the package or import when SEM was updated??
    Might want to delete the new packages, re-import manually, go through the settings again and give it a shot..............
    Just a thought.......... corruption happens.
    We just has a MS AD group policy corrupt on us - BLEW AWAY all of our domain browser and workstation security and settings! OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 3.  RE: Warning: The MR5 (11.0.5002) update causes servers to auto reboot and/or blue screen.

Posted Sep 23, 2009 12:44 PM
    Well it's too late now, they are all installed now. If I would have known they are going to crash or reboot, I would have manually updated each client. This happened on most, if not all of my 25 servers.