Email Security.cloud

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

what does SMTP Status: blocked - timeout (#4.4.2) mean?

• 1.  what does SMTP Status: blocked - timeout (#4.4.2) mean?

Posted Jun 27, 2017 02:13 AM

I am checking some logs from messagelabs, one of them is 'SMTP Status: blocked - timeout (#4.4.2)'. What does it mean? 

• 2.  RE: what does SMTP Status: blocked - timeout (#4.4.2) mean?

Posted Jun 27, 2017 02:19 AM

Hi Jocelyn,

Could you send your sending server IP and I will see if that IP is being blocked or throttled by our servers.

Kind regards

Kevin Brosnan

• 3.  RE: what does SMTP Status: blocked - timeout (#4.4.2) mean?

Posted Jun 27, 2017 02:26 AM

Hi Kevin, the IP is 121.14.129.37

• 4.  RE: what does SMTP Status: blocked - timeout (#4.4.2) mean?

Posted Jun 27, 2017 02:33 AM

Hi Jocelyn,

I have checked that IP against our blocklist and can confirm that this IP is not listed, however I did find that the reputation on this IP was not as good as it should be. I have therefore reset the reputation of the IP 121.14.129.37 across our infrastructure as high and hope that this addresses the issue.

Please can you test again and if you have further problems please provide the sender and recipients full email address of which is failing. However if the reset has fixed the issue, please can you set this thread to resolved to prevent others from adding to it.

Kind regards

Kevin Brosnan
    Tier 2 Senior Technical Support Engineer
    CompTIA Security+ Certified

• 5.  RE: what does SMTP Status: blocked - timeout (#4.4.2) mean?

Posted Jun 27, 2017 03:08 AM

Hi Kevin, thanks for your prompt reply. Actually, it was happened randomly. I will keep watching on it for few days. If the result is okay, I will set the thread to resolved.

• 6.  RE: what does SMTP Status: blocked - timeout (#4.4.2) mean?

Posted Jun 27, 2017 03:32 AM

Hi Jocelyn,

The randoness would fit in with the reputation issue as when an IP's reputation is low we will randomly stop some emails and not all. So I believe that may be the problem. So after a day or so if you are happy then please do set this thread as resolved or come back to me if further assistance is required.

Kind regards

Kevin Brosnan
    Tier 2 Senior Technical Support Engineer

CompTIA Security+ Certified

• 7.  RE: what does SMTP Status: blocked - timeout (#4.4.2) mean?

Posted Jun 27, 2017 04:38 AM

Further question. If  I add the IP to my whitelist, the incoming mail from the IP will not be check anymore? Just pass to my e-mail server?

• 8.  RE: what does SMTP Status: blocked - timeout (#4.4.2) mean?

Posted Jun 27, 2017 05:31 AM

Hi Jocelyn,

Can you give me more details on this? Are you having trouble sending emails or receiving emails? Also are you a customer of Symantec or a non customer.

Are you asking about adding an IP to a whitelist on your mail server or if a customer within our customer portal.

Kind regards

Kevin Brosnan

• 9.  RE: what does SMTP Status: blocked - timeout (#4.4.2) mean?

Posted Jun 28, 2017 03:33 AM

Hi Jocelyn,

Do you have any further information on this to help investigate.

Kind regards

Kevin Brosnan

• 10.  RE: what does SMTP Status: blocked - timeout (#4.4.2) mean?

Posted Jun 29, 2017 02:17 AM

Hi Kevin, yes, I am customer of Symantec. One of our customer has problem when sending email to us. The customer's e-mail is hosting on 21cn.com, the China company. After you reset  the reputation, the problem still happened.

I saw the log, there are 2 messages.

(1)SMTP Status: blocked - timeout (#4.4.2)

(2)SMTP Status: blocked - no DATA from client

• 11.  RE: what does SMTP Status: blocked - timeout (#4.4.2) mean?

Posted Jun 29, 2017 02:48 AM

Hi Jocelyn,

Please can you confirm the sender and recipients full email address so I can pull some logs to see where the failure lies. Adding an IP to your approved senders list would only bypass spam and newsletter filtering. However looking at the errors above this may be a sending server issue to which you or I have no control over. To confirm this I will need to check logs so I will need the addresses to take this incvestigation further.

Kind regards

Kevin Brosnan