Messaging Gateway

View Only
  • 1.  What works with Exchange 2010?

Posted Feb 18, 2010 08:28 PM
    Hi all,

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but here goes. I have BRIGHTMAIL MESSAGE FILTER ANTISPAM 6.1.

I think it works great at reducing/eliminating spam. But now I am looking at moving our organization to Exchange 2010. The requirments for 2010 (and Exchange 2007 if I'm not mistaken) are a 64-bit OS.

Currently I have Brightmail Antispam Message Filter installed on the same Windows 2003 Std. server as Exchange 2003.

From what I've read Brightmail Antispam Message FIlter 6.1 will not work on 64-bit. Is this true? What can I do to keep my current setup? Do I need to use Brightmail Gateway? I'm really not sure what the difference is. Is one just a newer, renamed version of another?

I just want the great spam filtering that I have now to keep working when I upgrade to Exchange 2010. Any ideas?

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: What works with Exchange 2010?

Posted Feb 18, 2010 08:53 PM
    I am not sure if you have already looked at some of the suggestions in the following KB article:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-gate.nsf/docid/2008011508562554

Here are some previous forum threads that talked about the differences b/w Symantec Brightmail Message Filter (SBMF) and Symantec Brightmail Gateway (SBG):

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/symantec-brightmail-message-filter

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/symantec-antispam-solution-products-difference

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/difference-between-sbmg-sbms

Regards,

Adnan

• 3.  RE: What works with Exchange 2010?

Posted Feb 18, 2010 09:52 PM
    Thanks for the reply AdnanH. So if I am understanding this correctly, I can either a) put Brightmail Antispam Message Filter on a server running a 32-bit OS before my Exchange 2010 server, or b) purchase a new product (Symantec Information Foundation Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange 6.x with the Symantec Premium Antispam license) correct?

It does not sound like Brightmail Gateway is what I want. I just want to be able to put something on my Exchange server that stops the spam without the need for additional hardware or appliances.

Is Brightmail Message Filter no longer supported by Symantec? I don't understand how it could not even be installed on a 64-bit OS for at least Exchange 2007 by now.

• 4.  RE: What works with Exchange 2010?

Posted Feb 19, 2010 02:23 AM
    Ideally, you would be using the Brighmail Gateway IMO. Why let an Exchange server process spam, when something on the edge can do it.  Not to mention the advanced Data Loss policies that are built into it like preventing SSN and credit card numbers from leaving via email.  But if you are just looking for something to install on Exchange, then...

What you want is Mail Security for Exchange, and it will support Exchange 2010 come March 1st.  It was actually already released to manufacturing on Feb 15th.  This would be v 6.5

• 5.  RE: What works with Exchange 2010?

Posted Feb 19, 2010 07:30 AM
    Thanks teiva-boy. Can you tell me if Mail Security for Exchange will be similar to use like Brightmail Message Filter? I mean, does it use a simple web interface where I can check quarantine, add blocked senders, etc.?

Also, does it use the same scanning technology as Brightmail Message Filter? Like I said, I have been really impressed with how well Message Filter nabs spam and rarely gets a false positive.

One other question, is it possible to just use the anti-spam feature of Mail Security? I already have an antivirus solution for Exchange that I will be using.

Thanks again.

• 6.  RE: What works with Exchange 2010?

Posted Feb 19, 2010 10:24 AM
    SBMF is a supported product and will continue to be supported.  Both SBMF and SBG are GATEWAY products and are meant to be installed at the gateway.  That means that ideally you should install SBMF not on your exchange mailbox server but seprately on another box , but SBMF gives you this flexibility that you can install it even on exchange (supported versions) server itself.  On the other hand, SBG is available as an appliance as well as a virtual edition which you can use under VMWare on your own hardware.  SBG gives you the same antispam features as SBMF plus more.

So if you are happy with SBMF you can stay with it by installing it on a separate box that's running IIS and windows SMTP service while still being able to upgrade your exchange servers to the latest version. 

• 7.  RE: What works with Exchange 2010?

Posted Feb 19, 2010 11:01 AM
    OK, is there any white paper or document that can walk me through how this setup will work?