Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
  • 1.  Win7 Pro x64 + Ghost 11.5.1 + UEFI

Posted Aug 13, 2012 02:30 PM

I have a number of Alienware Aurora R4's I need to ghost for a classroom lab setup. The machines have 2x 2TB HDD's in RAID0 (zero). Because of this I have to put the computer in UEFI mode as Legacy will not work being that the array is over 3TB and will not boot with a MBR.

I can Ghost the computer no problem using the x64 version of Ghost 11.5.1 but when I reapply the image the machine boots to a status error of 0xc0000225 (The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible). I see according to the KB article (http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH156927) that Ghost does not support EFI/UEFI (REALLY?!) setups.

Does anyone know of ANY (Ghost or not) way to image machines that are set up like this?

• 2.  RE: Win7 Pro x64 + Ghost 11.5.1 + UEFI

Posted Aug 14, 2012 04:30 PM

You could try using the Microsoft imagex.exe that comes with WinPE.

• 3.  RE: Win7 Pro x64 + Ghost 11.5.1 + UEFI

Posted Aug 15, 2012 10:01 AM

Does a legacy mode is available in the BIOS? If yes you could try it that way.

• 4.  RE: Win7 Pro x64 + Ghost 11.5.1 + UEFI

Posted Aug 15, 2012 10:44 AM

Just changing the mode to legacy under BIOS would not make any difference to the OS on the disk .The disk is still a GPT disk.Only reinstalling OS after choosing legacy will convert the disk to MBR.In this case Ghost is not a solution as long as you work with GPT disks

• 5.  RE: Win7 Pro x64 + Ghost 11.5.1 + UEFI

Posted Aug 17, 2012 09:08 AM

I have gotten this to work on some computers.

First, I installed as usual.

1: In the BIOS, select CD/DVD as first priority, hard drive C as second (don't select any UEFI device).
    2: Insert Windows DVD and boot from it.
    3: Select to install Windows 7, click shift and F10 in the next dialog Window.
    4: Use diskpart to actually create and format just one large partition.
    5: Close command prompt and install Windows + drivers and add whatever you want to add.
    6: Boot on bootable media with Ghost.
    7: When cloning, use these ekstra switches: -ntexact -ib
        (should also be used when restoring)
    8: After cloning, use -ntexact switch when restoring to other client computers.

I have gotten this to work on a large classroom with Lenovo computers and Windows 7 x64. It didn't work on a Lenovo server though. So I only sell Fujitsu servers now, they can also be cloned (no UEFI so far...).