Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Windows 10 upgrade 1607 fails because of SEP

Posted Jan 10, 2018 10:59 AM

Well this is a pain, Microsoft say's Symantec Endpoint Protection isn't supported in this upgrade and it needs to be uninstalled. I did, plus I went into the registry and deleted any reference to it and to Symantec itself. Ran the Cleanwipe and followed everything in article.TECH231349.html. I also deleted all content in temp and install folders related to Symantec as well as Symantect Ghost Sloution Suite dagent.

I've been battling for 3 days and it just keeps throwing the---need to uninstall SEP in my face. Does anyone know if there is a way to force install it and to keep all files, folders and programs intact. Yes I know I can do a clean install...oyi...I'm not going down that path

Thanks, John V.

• 2.  RE: Windows 10 upgrade 1607 fails because of SEP

Posted Jan 10, 2018 12:00 PM

It may be due to the recent issue:

https://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/sep-system-tray-icon-warns-multiple-issues-following-installation-january-3rd-2018-windows-se

• 3.  RE: Windows 10 upgrade 1607 fails because of SEP

Posted Jan 10, 2018 05:12 PM

I'm having the same results as John above. I have tried installing Windows 10 update and it will not install. I've taken out all the refernence's to this in the files and it still gives me the same message.

Please help.

Vicki

vkennison@sterlingstjames.com

• 4.  RE: Windows 10 upgrade 1607 fails because of SEP

Posted Jan 11, 2018 07:12 AM

Ha ha---I solved it!

After a few more hours of research online, I came upon several posts of people who had removed SEP install and .exe programs and containg folders from their computers. This seemed to solve the issue for them. Windows 10 1709 Upgrade apparently finds these and stops the install? Maybe that is why the upgrade listed 7 occurances of SEP that needed to be removed manually. I have one drive where I store my install, .exe files and folders. I unpluged the drive, ran setup and now there is no error ---the Windows 1709 Update is installing.

Conclusion---Uninstall SEP, run the cleanup tool from Symantec and BE SURE no install .exe files or folders exist anywhere on your computer's hard drives. I would include any zipped folders from Symantec too!

I hope this is helpful to anyone who might have the same problem---good luck!

John V.

• 5.  RE: Windows 10 upgrade 1607 fails because of SEP

Posted Jan 11, 2018 04:56 PM

Please add to my comment above---If you unzipped SEM into a folder on your HD such as 'setup' be sure you delete that too!

John V.

• 6.  RE: Windows 10 upgrade 1607 fails because of SEP

Posted Jan 19, 2018 06:54 AM

I have a similar issue but cannot download the Cleanwipe tool without a serial number.  We received serialized versions though the university I work for through a license agreement, but I don't have a record of my serial number since I uninstalled it quite some time ago.

Trying to run the critical Windows update mentioned, and receive the error about it can proceed without Endpoint uninstall.  I've called Symantec, but no one would help me without a serial number.  

My laptop was originally a Windows 7 machine that I upgraded to Windows 10 over a year ago, so going back to the factory install would take me all the way back to Windows 7.

Anyway I can move forward, and get Endpoint off my computer?

Thanks,

Ron Conrad

• 7.  RE: Windows 10 upgrade 1607 fails because of SEP

Posted Jan 19, 2018 06:58 AM

Cleanwipe has always been downloadable here, for free:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO124983

• 8.  RE: Windows 10 upgrade 1607 fails because of SEP

Posted Jan 19, 2018 07:05 AM

Thanks...just downloaded using the link provided.  Spent last night talking to support reps who refused to assist me without my serial number.

Thanks again for the link...I will give this a shot tonight.