Intel,Altiris Group

• 1.  Windows 2008 scripted install can't find hard disk

Posted Jul 01, 2010 12:01 PM
    We recently have been having issues with our Altiris Deployment Solution scripted installs of Windows 2008 (all editions, both 32- and 64-bit).  Our version of Deployment Server is 6.9 SP3.

The issue we're seeing is that once the unattended install starts, we're getting an error that says "Windows could not create a partition on disk 0.  The specified disk does not exist."  This is happening on Dell PowerEdge 2950 servers with the PERC 6i RAID controller and on PowerEdge 710 servers with the H700 controller.  As it happens this disk DOES exist. As a test I ran a DVD-based install using our unattended file and it completed just fine.  I have added the latest drivers for each of these controllers to the PXE image.

This error was occuring intermittently but is now occuring on every scripted install. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Graham Powell

• 2.  RE: Windows 2008 scripted install can't find hard disk

Posted Aug 26, 2010 08:57 PM
    Graham - I am wondering if you ever found the solution to this issue. We are having the exact same problem and have followed the same troubleshooting steps you mentioned in your post. But, we are stuck at this point. Did you ever figure out the problem?

• 3.  RE: Windows 2008 scripted install can't find hard disk

Posted Sep 01, 2010 08:57 AM
    Have you by any chance presented some LUN's from a connected SAN to the server? If that is the case, it could be the problem. Both LinuxPE and WinPE sees LUN's as the first drive(s) before the local disks.

Just a thought!