Symantec Launches Fastest Security Products in the World
CUPERTINO, Calif. – Sept. 9, 2008 – Symantec Corp. (Nasdaq: SYMC) today announced the availability of Norton Internet Security 2009 and Norton AntiVirus 2009, setting a new industry standard for speed and performance. The Norton 2009 products were designed with a "zero-impact" performance goal, supported by more than 300 improvements that span nearly every aspect of the product, from the scanning engines to the user interface.
Norton 2009 Key Facts:
Light on Resources
Reengineered for speed, Norton 2009 includes hundreds of performance enhancements and introduces new technologies:
- Community intelligence-driven Norton Insight technology removes the need to scan common files, thus greatly reducing the number of files that have to be scanned regularly
- Pulse Updates every 5 to 15 minutes deliver the latest protection updates faster than any other competitor
Independent 3rd party test lab, PassMark Software was commissioned to benchmark Symantec and top security software competitors' performance impact on key metrics . Highlights from this report include:
- Fastest install – Norton Internet Security 2009 installs in only 52 seconds
- Least working memory usage – Norton Internet Security 2009 uses less than 7MB
- Fastest quick scan – Norton Internet Security 2009 scans in only 33 seconds
Norton 2009 includes the Norton Protection System, a multilayered system of technologies that work in concert to stop threats before they impact you. The Norton Protection System includes:
- Industry-leading browser protection for both Firefox and IE safeguards you from Web-based attacks
- Enhanced Intrusion Prevention System (IPS) engine for multimedia attacks
- SONAR advanced protection for real-time protection from unknown threats
- Antibot protection
- System recovery tool for deep infections
Independent security software testing firm, AV-Test recently released results of their malware protection analysis of the 2009 security suites. AV-Test included the Norton Internet Security 2009 beta against 33 other well-known suites and virus scanners. Key findings from this report were that Norton Internet Security 2009 beta ranked at the top of the list by:
New Usability Enhancements
Norton 2009 delivers the best customer experience through features that solve daily problems:
- Silent mode suspends alerts and updates automatically to avoid interrupting or slowing activities such as games, movies or presentations
- Smart scheduler handles scans, updates and other activities when the PC is idle, and processes retreat into the background within milliseconds of user activity
- New user interface (UI) streamlines the experience so users can reach important features with a single click, and advanced users can configure custom settings with ease
- Lightweight UI includes advanced performance meter to detail CPU usage at any given time
Free Technical Support
- Symantec now delivers free support to customers across all available channels – via the web, email, chat or phone 
- In addition to free support, Symantec now hosts a Norton Users Forum beta which is open to the public and averages 1,000 new posts weekly
"Today's Norton is now proven to be faster and stronger than ever before," said Rowan Trollope senior vice president, Consumer Business, Symantec. "The products run light on the system, install in less than a minute and include industry first features like Norton Insight, which dramatically reduces the number of files that have to be scanned."
"This is the highest quality consumer product we've ever shipped," Trollope continued. "We're especially pleased to be able to offer free support via web, email, chat or phone to every 2009 customer."
User comments on Norton Internet Security 2009 from 3rd party usability study on security suites :
- "Norton: Easy to install, self-explanatory, functionality was great."
- "Overall, it's more thorough and easier to manipulate than McAfee."
- "Wow…that was really fast…faster than Trend."
- Screen shots
- Box shots
- Video introduction to Norton 2009: http://interactive.stage.verite.com/symantec/2361A/
- You Need the Speed video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wv5VMeS-H2g
Links / URLs
- PassMark Software security software performance report available here: http://www.passmark.com/ftp/antivirus_09-performance-testing-ed1.pdf
- Podcast interview with Rowan Trollope, SVP Consumer products on Norton 2009: http://www.symantec.com/about/news/podcasts/detail.jsp?podid=hho_nav_nis_09_overview
- Norton Protection Blog: http://norton.lithium.com/norton/blog?blog.id=npb1
- Norton 2009 product microsite: www.norton.com/faster
- AV-Test 2009 Malware protection report: http://www.virusbtn.com/news/2008/09_02
Pricing and Availability
Norton Internet Security 2009 and Norton AntiVirus 2009 are available now for purchase in the U.S. through retailers and the Symantec online store at www.symantecstore.com as well as various retail locations and online.
The suggested retail price for Norton Internet Security 2009 is US$69.99 for a three PC license, which includes a one-year service subscription to use the product and receive Symantec's protection updates. The suggested retail price of Norton AntiVirus 2009 is US$39.99 which includes a one-year service subscription to use the product and receive Symantec's protection updates. All Norton Internet Security and Norton AntiVirus users with a valid product subscription are eligible to receive the latest product updates via the subscription service model. For more information, visit the Norton Update center at www.norton.com/update.
About Norton from Symantec
Symantec's Norton products protect consumers from traditional threats with antivirus, anti-spam and spyware protection, as well as bots, drive-by downloads and identity theft— while also being light on system resources. The company also provides services such as online backup and PC tuneup, and is a trusted source for family online safety
Symantec is a global leader in infrastructure software, enabling businesses and consumers to have confidence in a connected world. The company helps customers protect their infrastructure, information and interactions by delivering software and services that address risks to security, availability, compliance and performance. Headquartered in Cupertino, Calif., Symantec has operations in more than 40 countries. More information is available at www.symantec.com.
Note to Editors If you would like additional information on Symantec Corporation and its products, please visit the Symantec News Room at http://www.symantec.com/news. All prices noted are in U.S. dollars and are valid only in the United States.
Symantec and the Symantec Logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Symantec Corporation or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
+1 (424) 750 7576
+1 (323) 988 4667
TECHNORATI TAGS: Norton, Internet Security, antivirus, antispyware, security, performance, identity theft, free support, Rowan Trollope, Norton Users Forum
 PassMark Software testing performed on a Windows Vista system with Intel Core 2 Duo 6300 & 1GB of RAM
 Availability of support channels vary by region, and regular Internet connection fees and call charges may apply in certain countries. For full support details, please visit www.symantec.com/globalsupport
 Human Factors International, Usability Test Report on security software, September 2008