October 4, 2019
Android-gif-drawable is prone to a remote code execution vulnerability. Attackers may leverage this issue to execute arbitrary code in the context of the device. Failed attacks will cause denial-of-service conditions.
- Google Android 8.1
- Google Android 9.0
- Karol Wrótniak android-gif-drawable 1.2.0
- Karol Wrótniak android-gif-drawable 1.2.10
- Karol Wrótniak android-gif-drawable 1.2.13
- Karol Wrótniak android-gif-drawable 1.2.15
- Karol Wrótniak android-gif-drawable 1.2.17
- WhatsApp Inc. WhatsApp for Android 2.18.225
- WhatsApp Inc. WhatsApp for Android 2.18.239
- WhatsApp Inc. WhatsApp for Android 2.18.247
- WhatsApp Inc. WhatsApp for Android 2.18.248
- WhatsApp Inc. WhatsApp for Android 2.18.257
- WhatsApp Inc. WhatsApp for Android 2.18.264
- WhatsApp Inc. WhatsApp for Android 2.18.267
- WhatsApp Inc. WhatsApp for Android 2.18.273
- WhatsApp Inc. WhatsApp for Android 2.18.276
- WhatsApp Inc. WhatsApp for Android 2.19.133
- WhatsApp Inc. WhatsApp for Android 2.19.134
- WhatsApp Inc. WhatsApp for Android 2.19.143
- WhatsApp Inc. WhatsApp for Android 2.19.230
Deploy network intrusion detection systems to monitor network traffic for malicious activity.
Deploy NIDS to monitor network traffic for signs of anomalous or suspicious activity. This includes but is not limited to requests that include NOP sleds and unexplained incoming and outgoing traffic. This may indicate exploit attempts or activity that results from successful exploits.
Do not accept or execute files from untrusted or unknown sources.
To reduce the likelihood of successful exploits, do not open files that originate from untrusted sources.
Implement multiple redundant layers of security.
Memory-protection schemes (such as nonexecutable stack and heap configurations and randomly mapped memory segments) will complicate exploits of memory-corruption vulnerabilities.
Updates are available. Please see the references or vendor advisory for more information.
© 1995- Symantec Corporation
Permission to redistribute this alert electronically is granted as long as it is not edited in any way unless authorized by Symantec Security Response. Reprinting the whole or part of this alert in any medium other than electronically requires permission from firstname.lastname@example.org.
The information in the advisory is believed to be accurate at the time of publishing based on currently available information. Use of the information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are no warranties with regard to this information. Neither the author nor the publisher accepts any liability for any direct, indirect, or consequential loss or damage arising from use of, or reliance on, this information.
Symantec, Symantec products, Symantec Security Response, and email@example.com are registered trademarks of Symantec Corp. and/or affiliated companies in the United States and other countries. All other registered and unregistered trademarks represented in this document are the sole property of their respective companies/owners.