December 11, 2007
Microsoft Windows Vista is prone to a local privilege-escalation vulnerability. The vulnerability resides in the Windows Kernel. A locally logged-in user can exploit this issue to gain kernel-level access to the operating system.
- HP Storage Management Appliance 2.1
- HP Storage Management Appliance I
- HP Storage Management Appliance II
- HP Storage Management Appliance III
- Microsoft Windows Vista
- Microsoft Windows Vista Business 64-bit edition
- Microsoft Windows Vista Business
- Microsoft Windows Vista Enterprise 64-bit edition
- Microsoft Windows Vista Enterprise
- Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic 64-bit edition
- Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic
- Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit edition
- Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium
- Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit edition
- Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate
Permit local access for trusted individuals only. Where possible, use restricted environments and restricted shells.
To reduce the likelihood of attacks, allow access to trusted individuals only and implement restricted environments and privileges.
Microsoft has released a security bulletin and updates to address this vulnerability.
Discovery is credited to Thomas Garnier of SkyRecon.
© 1995- Symantec Corporation
Permission to redistribute this alert electronically is granted as long as it is not edited in any way unless authorized by Symantec Security Response. Reprinting the whole or part of this alert in any medium other than electronically requires permission from firstname.lastname@example.org.
The information in the advisory is believed to be accurate at the time of publishing based on currently available information. Use of the information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are no warranties with regard to this information. Neither the author nor the publisher accepts any liability for any direct, indirect, or consequential loss or damage arising from use of, or reliance on, this information.
Symantec, Symantec products, Symantec Security Response, and email@example.com are registered trademarks of Symantec Corp. and/or affiliated companies in the United States and other countries. All other registered and unregistered trademarks represented in this document are the sole property of their respective companies/owners.