Updated: February 13, 2007 11:36:45 AM
Risk Impact: High
File Names: varies
Systems Affected: Windows
Adware.AdGoblin is an adware component that displays pop-up windows in Internet Explorer.
Popup advertisements appear while running Internet Explorer.
Your Symantec program detects Adware.AdGoblin.
This adware component can be manually installed or installed as a component of another program.
Antivirus Protection Dates
- Initial Rapid Release version October 02, 2014 revision 022
- Latest Rapid Release version February 01, 2015 revision 020
- Initial Daily Certified version February 14, 2004
- Latest Daily Certified version September 28, 2010 revision 036
- Initial Weekly Certified release date February 18, 2004
Click here for a more detailed description of Rapid Release and Daily Certified virus definitions.
When Adware.AdGoblin runs, it performs the following actions:
- Registers itself as a browser help object
- Downloads an updated list of popup windows to be shown.
- When Internet Explorer is running, it displays pop-up windows containing advertisements.
This adware program must be manually installed. However, there are several known programs that have Adware.AdGoblin within them and that install it as the program itself is installed.
Note: Removing this adware component from the system will likely cause the program that installed it to not function as intended. The uninstaller generally identifies the programs that will not work after uninstallation.
The following instructions pertain to all Symantec antivirus products that support the security risk detection.
- Update the definitions.
- Closing all the open Internet Explorer windows.
- Run a full system scan and write down the locations of the files detected as Adware.AdGoblin
- Uninstall Adware.AdGoblin using regsvr32.
- Run a full system scan and delete all the files detected as Adware.AdGoblin.
1. Updating the definitions
To obtain the most recent definitions, start your Symantec program and run LiveUpdate.
2. Close all open Internet Explorer (IE) windows
Since Adware.AdGoblin runs as a plug-in for Internet Explorer, be sure to close all the open IE browser windows before proceeding.
3. Scanning for the files
- Start Norton AntiVirus and make sure that it is configured to scan all the files. For more information, read the document, "How to configure Norton AntiVirus to scan all files."
- Run a full system scan.
- If any files are detected as Adware.AdGoblin, write down their location.
4. Uninstalling Adware.AdGoblin using regsvr32
- Click Start > Run.
regsvr32 /u [path to the file]
and click OK.
This will uninstall Adware.AdGoblin.
5. Scanning for and deleting the files
- Start Norton AntiVirus and run a full system scan.
- If any files are detected as Adware.AdGoblin, click Delete.