Updated: January 07, 2016 7:40:34 PM
Type: Misleading Application
Infection Length: 407,468 bytes
Publisher: KiVVi Software
Risk Impact: Low
Systems Affected: Mac
OSX.Macsweeper is a misleading application for Mac OS X that may give exaggerated reports about threats on your computer.
To find out more about OSX.Macsweeper and related security risks, please read the Symantec Security Response blog entry Attack of the Clones II .
Antivirus Protection Dates
- Initial Rapid Release version October 02, 2014 revision 022
- Latest Rapid Release version March 22, 2019 revision 009
- Initial Daily Certified version January 17, 2008 revision 033
- Latest Daily Certified version March 23, 2019 revision 001
- Initial Weekly Certified release date January 16, 2008
Click here for a more detailed description of Rapid Release and Daily Certified virus definitions.
This misleading application may be silently installed by another program. It may also be manually installed from the Web site.
When the program is executed, it may remove unnecessary files and files that contain private information.
It also reports false or exaggerated system security threats on the computer.
The program then prompts the user to purchase a registered version of the software in order to remove the reported problems.
When the program is installed, it may create the following file:
The program may then create the following folder:
It may also create the following files:
- [CURRENT USER]/Library/Caches/com.KIVViSoftware.MacSweeper/Cache.db
- [CURRENT USER]/Library/Preferences/com.KIVViSoftware.MacSweeper.plist
- [CURRENT USER]/Library/Contextual Menu Items/MacSweeperCMI.plugin
Similar Security Risks
The following instructions pertain to all current and recent Symantec antivirus products for Macintosh.
- Update the virus definitions.
- Run a full system scan and repair or delete all the files detected.
1. To update the virus definitions
Symantec Security Response fully tests all the virus definitions for quality assurance before they are posted to our servers. There are two ways to obtain the most recent virus definitions:
- Running LiveUpdate, which is the easiest way to obtain virus definitions: These virus definitions are posted to the LiveUpdate servers once each week (usually on Wednesdays), unless there is a major virus outbreak. To determine whether definitions for this threat are available by LiveUpdate, refer to the Virus Definitions (LiveUpdate).
- Downloading the definitions using the Intelligent Updater: The Intelligent Updater virus definitions are posted on U.S. business days (Monday through Friday). You should download the definitions from the Symantec Security Response Web site and manually install them. To determine whether definitions for this threat are available by the Intelligent Updater, refer to the Virus Definitions (Intelligent Updater).
2. To scan for and delete the infected files
a. Start your Norton AntiVirus for Macintosh program and make sure that it is configured to scan all the files.
b. Run a full system scan. For more information on how to do this, read the document, "How to install Norton AntiVirus for Macintosh ."
c. If any files are detected, click Repair (if available) or Delete.