Updated: November 08, 2016 11:14:49 PM
Type: Potentially Unwanted App
Risk Impact: Low
Systems Affected: Mac
Genieo is a potentially unwanted application that installs a browser extension in order to change the browser's default search engine.
Antivirus Protection Dates
- Initial Rapid Release version October 02, 2014 revision 022
- Latest Rapid Release version November 12, 2019 revision 009
- Initial Daily Certified version July 10, 2014 revision 009
- Latest Daily Certified version November 04, 2019 revision 060
- Initial Weekly Certified release date July 16, 2014
Click here for a more detailed description of Rapid Release and Daily Certified virus definitions.
When the program is executed, it creates the following files:
- /Applications/Uninstall Genieo.app
- ~/Library/Application Support/com.genieoinnovation.Installer/Completer.app
- ~/Library/Application Support/Genieo/
Next, the program changes the default search engine and homepage to the following domain:
The program then installs the following browser extension:
When the user inputs a search query it will appear to be carried out using Google Search but the results will be from genieo.com.
The following instructions pertain to all current and recent Symantec antivirus products for Macintosh.
- Update the virus definitions.
- Run a full system scan and repair or delete all the files detected.
1. To update the virus definitions
To obtain the most recent virus definitions run LiveUpdate: These virus definitions are posted to the LiveUpdate servers regularly. To determine whether definitions for this threat are available by LiveUpdate, refer to the Virus Definitions (LiveUpdate) .
2. To scan for and delete the infected files
- Start your Norton AntiVirus or Symantec Endpoint Protection for Macintosh program and make sure that it is configured to scan all files.
- Run a full system scan.
- If any files are detected, click Repair (if available) or Delete.
Writeup By: Kaoru Hayashi