Updated: January 02, 2018 3:35:00 PM
Type: Potentially Unwanted App
Infection Length: Varies
Name: Mac Shiny
Publisher: Cyan soft Ltd
Risk Impact: Low
Systems Affected: Mac
OSX.MacShiny is a potentially unwanted application that gives misleading information about issues on the computer. It then asks the user to pay to fix the issues.
Antivirus Protection Dates
- Initial Rapid Release version November 20, 2017
- Latest Rapid Release version July 04, 2019 revision 016
- Initial Daily Certified version November 20, 2017
- Latest Daily Certified version July 05, 2019 revision 001
- Initial Weekly Certified release date November 22, 2017
Click here for a more detailed description of Rapid Release and Daily Certified virus definitions.
Once executed, the application creates the following files:
- /Users/admin/Library/Saved Application State/com.cyan.MacShiny
The application performs a scan and displays misleading information about issues on the computer.
The application then asks the user to pay in order to fix the listed issues.
The following instructions pertain to all current and recent Symantec antivirus products for Macintosh.
- Update the virus definitions.
- Run a full system scan and repair or delete all the files detected.
1. To update the virus definitions
To obtain the most recent virus definitions run LiveUpdate: These virus definitions are posted to the LiveUpdate servers regularly. To determine whether definitions for this threat are available by LiveUpdate, refer to the Virus Definitions (LiveUpdate) .
2. To scan for and delete the infected files
- Start your Norton AntiVirus or Symantec Endpoint Protection for Macintosh program and make sure that it is configured to scan all files.
- Run a full system scan.
- If any files are detected, click Repair (if available) or Delete.