This attack could pose a serious security threat. You should take immediate action to stop any damage or prevent further damage from happening.
Adware.Wnad is an adware program that displays advertisements and tracks browser information such as Web sites visited.
When Adware.Wnad is executed, it performs the following actions:
1. Attempts to contact [http://]www.twistedhumour.com/[REMOVED] and download a number of component files.
2. Creates the following directories on the compromised computer:
Note: %ProgramFiles% is a variable that refers to the program files folder. By default, this is C:\Program Files.
3. Creates the following files on the compromised computer:
4. Adds the value:
"Yo Mamma Osama Installer" = "%Random%\osama.exe"
to the registry subkey:
so that it runs every time Windows starts.
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional SP1, SP2, SP3, SP4
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Workstation rev.2031, rev.2072, rev.2195, SP1, SP2, SP3
- Microsoft Windows NT 3.5, 4.0 SP6a alpha
- Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 4.0, 4.0 SP6a
- Microsoft Windows XP
- Microsoft Windows XP Home SP1, SP2
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP1, SP2
The following instructions pertain to all Symantec antivirus products that support security risk detection.
1. Update the definitions.
2. Run a full system scan.
3. Delete any values added to the registry.
For specific details on each of these steps, read the following instructions: http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2005-121415-2026-99&tabid=3