This attack could pose a serious security threat. You should take immediate action to stop any damage or prevent further damage from happening.
This signature detects a remote code-execution vulnerability in the Microsoft Word.
Microsoft Word is prone to an unspecified remote code-execution vulnerability. This issue is caused by Word files containing a malformed object pointer that may result in memory corruption.
Reports indicate that this issue can allow remote attackers to execute arbitrary code on a vulnerable computer by supplying a malicious Word document to a user. If the user opens the attacker-supplied document, the attacker may subsequently gain unauthorized access to the computer in the context of the user.
This issue is being actively exploited in the wild to place a backdoor named Backdoor.Ginwui on targeted computers through a trojan named Trojan.Mdropper.H.
- Microsoft Excel 2004 for Mac
- Microsoft Office X for Mac
- Microsoft Word 2000 SP2, SP3, SR1, SR1a
- Microsoft Word 2002 SP1, SP2, SP3
- Microsoft Word 2003
- Microsoft Word 2003 Viewer
- Microsoft Word X for Mac
- Microsoft Works Suite 2000
- Microsoft Works Suite 2001
- Microsoft Works Suite 2002
- Microsoft Works Suite 2003
- Microsoft Works Suite 2004
- Microsoft Works Suite 2005
- Microsoft Works Suite 2006