March 28, 2008
The Patches module checks for the presence of operating system and application patches that strengthen system security. Patch information is stored in Patch templates.
Symantec updates Patch templates with the Symantec ESM policy installer. This ensures that updated Patch templates for supported operating systems and applications are available for policies that are delivered with Security Update releases. Installing this update adds or updates the Patches policy and associated template files on the Symantec ESM manager.
This rapid response patch update for Symantec Enterprise Security Manager reports operating system and application patches for UNIX operating system. There are a total of 440 new patch signatures and 373 updated patch signatures in 10 templates.
The new patches are as follows:
- patch.pai (IBM AIX - 2 new)
- patch.ph1 (HP HP-UX 10.20-11.11 - 21 new, 106 updated)
- patch.ph2 (HP HP-UX 11.23 - 38 new, 143 updated)
- atch.plx (RedHat Linux and Enterprise Linux - 259 new, 73 updated)
- patch.ps5 (Microsoft Windows 2000 Server - 1 updated)
- patch.ps6 (Sun Solaris 2.6+ - 19 new)
- patch.psl (SUSE Linux - 99 new, 41 updated)
- patch.p3i (Microsoft Windows Server 2003 for 64-Bit Itanium-based Systems - 1 new)
- patch.p6s (Microsoft Windows Server 2003 - 1 new, 5 updated)
- ie.pwx (Microsoft Internet Explorer on Microsoft Windows XP Professional - 4 updated)
This rapid response policy includes updates to the Patches module templates that detect new vendor-released patches on the following operating systems:
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux
- SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 9 and 10
- SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 9 and 10 for Itanium Processor Family
- SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 9 and 10 PPC64
- SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 9 and 10 for AMD64 and EM64T (x86_64)
This policy is designed for Symantec ESM agents running SU24 (and later) versions of the Patch module.
For SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 9 PPC64 support, the minimum requirement is SU31 on ESM agents.
ESM 6.0, 6.1.1 and 6.5 users: To automatically install, use the link below or use LiveUpdate.
For agents earlier than 6.5, use the LiveUpdate package entitled, Patch Policies - OS Patches for 5.5/ 6.0
For 6.5 agents and later, use the LiveUpdate package entitled, Patch Policies - OS Comprehensive
For more information regarding this update, download the Patch Policy Release Notes <pup_rn.pdf
Last modified on: March 28, 2008