August 1, 2008
The Patches module checks for the presence of the operating system and application patches that strengthen system security. The Patch information is stored in Patch templates.
Symantec updates the Patch templates with the Symantec ESM policy installer. This ensures that the updated Patch templates for the supported operating systems and applications are available for the policies that are delivered with the Security Update releases. Installing this update adds or updates the Patches policy and the associated template files on the Symantec ESM manager.
This rapid response patch update for Symantec Enterprise Security Manager reports the operating system and application patches for UNIX operating system. There are a total of 1647 new patch signatures and 157 updated patch signatures in 6 templates.
Note: On the LiveUpdate wizard, the OS Patch Policy version will now be visible in the following format: Patch Policy <YYYY>.<MM>.<Release_Version>. Here, YYYY is the year of release, MM is the month of release, and Release_Version is the release version of this Patch Policy.
The new templates are as follows:
- patch.ph1 (HP-UX 11.00 - 11.31 PA-RISC - 289 new, 1 updated)
- patch.ph2 (HP-UX 11.23 - 11.31 for Itanium-based systems - 276 new, 1 updated)
- patch.plx (RedHat Linux and Enterprise Linux - 1044 new, 155 updated)
- patch.ps6 (Sun Solaris 2.6+ - 36 new)
- patch.p64 (Microsoft Windows Server 2003 x64 Editions - 1 new)
- patch.pxw (Microsoft Windows Vista for x64 - 1 new)
This rapid response policy includes updates to the Patches module templates that detect new vendor-released patches on the following operating systems:
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux
- SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 9 and 10
- SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 9 and 10 for Itanium Processor Family
- SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 9 and 10 PPC64
- SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 9 and 10 for AMD64 and EM64T (x86_64)
This policy is designed for Symantec ESM agents running SU24 (and later) versions of the Patch module.
For Microsoft Windows Vista Enterprise 32-bit and 64-bit (Opteron and EM64T) support, the minimum requirement is SU 30 on ESM agents. For SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 9 PPC64 support, the minimum requirement is SU31 on ESM agents.
ESM 6.0, 6.1.1 and 6.5 users: To automatically install, use the link below or use LiveUpdate.
For agents earlier than 6.5, use the LiveUpdate package entitled, Patch Policies - OS Patches for 5.5/ 6.0
For 6.5 agents and later, use the LiveUpdate package titled, Patch Policies - OS Comprehensive.
Last modified on: August 1, 2008