February 27, 2009
The Patches module checks for the presence of operating system and application patches that strengthen the system security. The patch information is stored in the patch templates.
Symantec updates the patch templates with the Symantec ESM policy installer. This ensures that the updated Patch templates for supported operating systems and applications are available for the policies that are delivered with the Security Update releases. Installing this update adds or updates the Patches policy and the associated template files on the Symantec ESM manager.
This rapid response patch update for Symantec Enterprise Security Manager reports the operating systems and application patches for the UNIX operating system. There are a total of 740 new patch signatures and 13 updated patch signatures in 13 templates.
The summary of the updates is as follows:
- patch.p3i (Microsoft Windows Server 2003 for 64-Bit Itanium-based Systems - 2 updated)
- patch.p64 (Microsoft Windows Server 2003 x64 Editions - 2 updated)
- patch.p6s (Microsoft Windows Server 2003 - 2 updated)
- patch.p8i (Microsoft Windows 2008 for Itanium-based Systems - 1 updated)
- patch.p8s (Microsoft Windows 2008 - 1 updated)
- patch.pai (IBM AIX - 34 new)
- patch.ph1 (HP-UX 11.00 - 11.31 PA-RISC - 80 new)
- patch.ph2 (HP-UX 11.23 - 11.31 for Itanium-based systems - 67 new)
- patch.plx (RedHat Linux and Enterprise Linux - 491 new)
- patch.ps6 (Sun Solaris 2.6+ - 68 new)
- patch.ps8 (Microsoft Windows 2008 x64 Editions - 1 updated)
- patch.pwv (Microsoft Windows Vista - 2 updated)
patch.pxw (Microsoft Windows Vista for x64 - 2 updated)This rapid response policy includes updates to the Patches module templates that detect new vendor-released patches on the following operating systems:
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9 and 10
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9 and 10 Zlinux
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9 and 10 for Itanium Processor Family
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9 and 10 PPC64
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9 and 10 for AMD64 and EM64T (x86_64)
See the Symantec Enterprise Security Manager Data Sheet link:
] for specific version information.
This policy is designed for Symantec ESM agents running SU 24 (and later) versions of the Patch module.
For Microsoft Windows Vista Enterprise 32-bit and 64-bit (Opteron and EM64T) support, the minimum requirement is SU 30 on ESM agents. For SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9 PPC64 support, the minimum requirement is SU 31 on ESM agents.
ESM 6.5 and 9.0
users: To automatically install, use the link below or use LiveUpdate.
Download Patch Policy BestPractice_OS_Patch_Updates_2009.02.02.exe
For 6.5 and later agents, use the LiveUpdate package entitled, Patch Policies – OS Comprehensive
For more information regarding this update, download the Patch Policy Release Notes <Symantec_ESM_Patch_Policy_Release_Notes_2009.02.02.pdf
Last modified on: February 27, 2009