Date Discovered April 13, 2004
Description Microsoft Windows Management is prone to a local privilege-escalation vulnerability that may allow a local attacker to execute arbitrary attacker-supplied code with SYSTEM privileges.
- Avaya DefinityOne Media Servers
- Avaya IP600 Media Servers
- Avaya S3400 Message Application Server
- Avaya S8100 Media Servers
- Microsoft Windows XP 64-bit Edition
- Microsoft Windows XP 64-bit Edition SP1
- Microsoft Windows XP 64-bit Edition Version 2003
- Microsoft Windows XP 64-bit Edition Version 2003 SP1
- Microsoft Windows XP Home
- Microsoft Windows XP Home SP1
- Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP1
Permit local access for trusted individuals only. Where possible, use restricted environments and restricted shells.
Given the local nature of this issue, grant only trusted and accountable individuals access to affected computers.
Microsoft has released a security bulletin and fixes to address this issue. Please see the references for more information.
Credits The vendor announced this vulnerability.
Copyright © Symantec Corporation.
Permission to redistribute this alert electronically is granted as long as it is not edited in any way unless authorized by Symantec Security Response. Reprinting the whole or part of this alert in any medium other than electronically requires permission from firstname.lastname@example.org
The information in the advisory is believed to be accurate at the time of publishing based on currently available information. Use of the information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are no warranties with regard to this information. Neither the author nor the publisher accepts any liability for any direct, indirect, or consequential loss or damage arising from use of, or reliance on, this information.
Symantec, Symantec products, Symantec Security Response, and email@example.com
are registered trademarks of Symantec Corp. and/or affiliated companies in the United States and other countries. All other registered and unregistered trademarks represented in this document are the sole property of their respective companies/owners.