Date Discovered October 12, 2004
Description Microsoft Windows contains a buffer overflow in the Compressed (zipped) Folders feature. A maliciously crafted compressed file could overrun an internal buffer causing arbitrary code to be executed in the security context of the current user.
- Avaya DefinityOne Media Servers
- Avaya IP600 Media Servers
- Avaya Modular Messaging (MSS) 1.1.0
- Avaya Modular Messaging (MSS) 2.0.0
- Avaya S3400 Message Application Server
- Avaya S8100 Media Servers
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Datacenter Edition
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Datacenter Edition Itanium
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition Itanium
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Web Edition
- Microsoft Windows XP 64-bit Edition
- Microsoft Windows XP 64-bit Edition SP1
- Microsoft Windows XP 64-bit Edition Version 2003
- Microsoft Windows XP 64-bit Edition Version 2003 SP1
- Microsoft Windows XP Home
- Microsoft Windows XP Home SP1
- Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition
- Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition SP1
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP1
- Microsoft Windows XP Tablet PC Edition
- Real Networks RealOne Player 1.0.0
- Real Networks RealOne Player 2.0.0
- Real Networks RealPlayer 10.0.0
- Real Networks RealPlayer 10.5.0 Beta v22.214.171.1246
- Real Networks RealPlayer 10.5.0 v126.96.36.1990
- Real Networks RealPlayer 10.5.0 v188.8.131.523
Run all software as a nonprivileged user with minimal access rights. All client software should be run with the least amount of privileges required. This will help limit the consequences of successful exploitation of this and other latent vulnerabilities.
Deploy network intrusion detection systems to monitor network traffic for malicious activity. Deploy network intrusion detection systems to monitor all network traffic for signs of suspicious or anomalous activity. This may aid in detecting attempts to exploit latent vulnerabilities or in detecting malicious activity that occurs as a result of successful exploitation.
Do not accept or execute files from untrusted or unknown sources. In order for this vulnerability to be exploited, a user would have to open a compressed file. Only open files from known and trusted sources after verifying their integrity.
Do not accept communications that originate from unknown or untrusted sources.
Disabling client support for HTML email may limit exposure to this attack vector.
Microsoft has released a bulletin that includes fixes to address this issue for supported versions of the operating system.
RealNetworks has released a security advisory outlining a buffer overflow vulnerability in skin file processing due to this issue. The advisory also outlines affected packages and solutions. Please see the referenced advisory for more information and contact the vendor for upgrade availability.
Credits Discovery is credited to eEye Digital Security.
Copyright © Symantec Corporation.
Permission to redistribute this alert electronically is granted as long as it is not edited in any way unless authorized by Symantec Security Response. Reprinting the whole or part of this alert in any medium other than electronically requires permission from firstname.lastname@example.org
The information in the advisory is believed to be accurate at the time of publishing based on currently available information. Use of the information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are no warranties with regard to this information. Neither the author nor the publisher accepts any liability for any direct, indirect, or consequential loss or damage arising from use of, or reliance on, this information.
Symantec, Symantec products, Symantec Security Response, and email@example.com
are registered trademarks of Symantec Corp. and/or affiliated companies in the United States and other countries. All other registered and unregistered trademarks represented in this document are the sole property of their respective companies/owners.