Date Discovered June 12, 2012
Description Microsoft Windows is prone to a local privilege-escalation vulnerability.
An attacker can exploit this issue to execute arbitrary code with SYSTEM-level privileges. Successfully exploiting this issue will result in the complete compromise of affected computers.
- Microsoft Windows 7 for 32-bit Systems
- Microsoft Windows 7 for 32-bit Systems SP1
- Microsoft Windows 7 for x64-based Systems
- Microsoft Windows 7 for x64-based Systems SP1
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Itanium SP2
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003 SP2
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003 x64 SP2
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 Itanium
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 Itanium SP1
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 x64
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 SP1
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008 for 32-bit Systems SP2
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008 for Itanium-based Systems SP2
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008 for x64-based Systems SP2
- Microsoft Windows Vista SP2
- Microsoft Windows Vista x64 Edition SP2
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition SP2
- Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3
Permit local access for trusted individuals only. Where possible, use restricted environments and restricted shells. To exploit this vulnerability, an attacker requires local access to an affected computer. Grant local access for trusted and accountable users only.
Vendor updates are available. Please see the references for details.
Copyright © Symantec Corporation.
Permission to redistribute this alert electronically is granted as long as it is not edited in any way unless authorized by Symantec Security Response. Reprinting the whole or part of this alert in any medium other than electronically requires permission from email@example.com
The information in the advisory is believed to be accurate at the time of publishing based on currently available information. Use of the information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are no warranties with regard to this information. Neither the author nor the publisher accepts any liability for any direct, indirect, or consequential loss or damage arising from use of, or reliance on, this information.
Symantec, Symantec products, Symantec Security Response, and firstname.lastname@example.org
are registered trademarks of Symantec Corp. and/or affiliated companies in the United States and other countries. All other registered and unregistered trademarks represented in this document are the sole property of their respective companies/owners.