- July 10, 2001
- February 13, 2007 11:57:32 AM
Also Known As:
- W32.Malot.int, I-Worm.Petik [Kaspersky], W32/PetTick@MM [McAfee]
W32.Pet_Tick.G is a mass-mailing worm that:
- Infects all the .html files in the \Windows folder
- Sends country information, which it finds in the Win.ini file, to the attacker
- Sends copies of the worm to mailto: address, which it finds in the cache folder of Internet Explorer
- May also modify the Win.ini file
Virus definitions dated prior to July 13, 2001 detect this threat as W32.Malot.int.
Due to bugs, this worm:
- May cause system instability or cause the system to stop responding when the worm is run.
- Repeatedly infects files in the \Windows folder.
Antivirus Protection Dates
Initial Rapid Release version July 10, 2001
Latest Rapid Release version September 28, 2010 revision 054
Initial Daily Certified version July 10, 2001
Latest Daily Certified version September 28, 2010 revision 036
Initial Weekly Certified release date July 10, 2001
Click for a more detailed description of Rapid Release and Daily Certified virus definitions.
Writeup By: Atli Gudmundsson