To remove this worm, delete files that are detected as W32. Vote.A@mm and W32.Vote.B@mm and remove the value that the worm added to the registry. You may need to replace the .htm and .html files.
To remove the worm:
To edit the registry:
- Run LiveUpdate to make sure that you have the most recent virus definitions.
- Start Norton AntiVirus (NAV), and make sure that NAV is configured to scan all files. For instructions on how to do this, read the document How to configure Norton AntiVirus to scan all files.
- Run a full system scan.
- Delete all files that are detected as W32.Vote.gen@mm, W32.Vote.A@mm, or W32.Vote.B@mm.
- Reset the Internet Explorer home page
- If the computer was restarted after the infection, or if the computer seems very unstable, we recommend that you reinstall the operating system.
: We strongly recommend that you back up the system registry before you make any changes. Incorrect changes to the registry could result in permanent data loss or corrupted files. Please make sure that you modify only the keys that are specified. Please see the document How to back up the Windows registry
before you proceed.
To reset the Internet Explorer home page:
- Click Start, and click Run. The Run dialog box appears.
- Type regedit and then click OK. The Registry Editor opens.
- Navigate to the following key:
- In the right pane, delete the following values:
ZaCker = \%Windows\System%\DaLaL.vbs
ALWaiL = \%Windows\System%\WaiL.vbs
- Click Registry, and then click Exit.
- Start Microsoft Internet Explorer.
- Connect to the Internet, and go to the page that you want to set as your home page.
- Click Tools, and click Internet Options.
- On the General tab, click Use Current, and then click OK.