- February 13, 2003
- February 13, 2007 12:04:35 PM
Also Known As:
- W32/Kindal@MM [McAfee], WORM_KINDAL.A [Trend], W32/Kindal-A [Sophos], Win32.Kindal [CA], I-Worm.Kindal [KAV]
- Windows 2000, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Me, Windows NT, Windows XP
W32.HLLP.Kindal@mm is a mass-mailing worm that does the following:
- Uses its own SMTP engine to send itself to all the contacts in the Windows Address Book.
- Attempts to spread itself through the KaZaA, Overnet, LimeWire, and Morpheus file-sharing networks.
- Makes copies of itself to the shared folders of the aforementioned file-sharing networks
- Prepends its viral code to the randomly chosen .exe or .scr files in the shared folders.
This threat is compressed with UPX.
Antivirus Protection Dates
Initial Rapid Release version February 14, 2003
Latest Rapid Release version November 7, 2016 revision 024
Initial Daily Certified version February 14, 2003
Latest Daily Certified version November 8, 2016 revision 001
Initial Weekly Certified release date February 19, 2003
Click for a more detailed description of Rapid Release and Daily Certified virus definitions.
Writeup By: Yana Liu