- August 1, 2003
- February 13, 2007 12:04:22 PM
Also Known As:
- WORM_MIMAIL.A [Trend], W32/Mimail@MM [McAfee], Win32.Mimail.A [CA], W32/Mimail-A [Sophos], I-Worm.Mimail [Kaspersky]
- Windows 2000, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Me, Windows NT, Windows XP
W32.Mimail.A@mm is a worm that spreads by email and steals information from a user's machine.
The email has the following characteristics:
your account [random string]
- The threat captures information from certain windows on a user's desktop and emails it to specific mail addresses.
- This threat takes advantage of known vulnerabilities: MS02-15 and MS03-14. A Microsoft patch is located at: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/critical/330994/default.asp.
- We encourage system administrators to apply the Microsoft patch to prevent infection by this worm.
- The worm is packed with UPX.
- Virus definitions with a version number of 50801r, also known as August 1, 2003 rev 18, or greater will detect this threat.
Antivirus Protection Dates
Initial Rapid Release version August 1, 2003
Latest Rapid Release version August 26, 2016 revision 023
Initial Daily Certified version August 1, 2003
Latest Daily Certified version August 9, 2016 revision 001
Initial Weekly Certified release date August 1, 2003
Click for a more detailed description of Rapid Release and Daily Certified virus definitions.
Writeup By: Atli Gudmundsson