Removing this adware component from the computer will likely cause the program that installed it to not function as intended.
- Update the virus definitions.
- Delete the value that was added to the registry, and then restart the computer.
- Run a full system scan and delete all the files detected as Adware.MoeMoney.
For specific details on each of these steps, read the following instructions.
1. Updating the virus definitions
Symantec Security Response fully tests all the virus definitions for quality assurance before they are posted to our servers. There are two ways to obtain the most recent virus definitions:
2. Deleting the value from the registry
- Running LiveUpdate, which is the easiest way to obtain virus definitions: These virus definitions are posted to the LiveUpdate servers once each week (usually on Wednesdays), unless there is a major virus outbreak. To determine whether definitions for this threat are available by LiveUpdate, refer to the Virus Definitions (LiveUpdate).
- Downloading the definitions using the Intelligent Updater: The Intelligent Updater virus definitions are posted on U.S. business days (Monday through Friday). You should download the definitions from the Symantec Security Response Web site and manually install them. To determine whether definitions for this threat are available by the Intelligent Updater, refer to the Virus Definitions (Intelligent Updater).
The Intelligent Updater virus definitions are available: Read "How to update virus definition files using the Intelligent Updater" for detailed instructions.
Symantec strongly recommends that you back up the registry before making any changes to it. Incorrect changes to the registry can result in permanent data loss or corrupted files. Modify the specified keys only. Read the document, "How to make a backup of the Windows registry
," for instructions.
3. Scanning for and deleting the infected files
- Click Start, and then click Run. (The Run dialog box appears.)
- Type regedit
Then click OK. (The Registry Editor opens.)
- Navigate to the key:
- In the right pane, delete the values:
"EbatesMoeMoneyMaker" = "wjview /cp:p "C:\Program Files\EbatesMoeMoneyMaker\System\Code" Main lp: "C:\Program Files EbatesMoeMoneyMaker""
"EbatesMoeMoneyMaker0" = "%Programfiles%\Ebates_MoeMoneyMaker\EbatesMoeMoneyMaker0.exe"
- Navigate to the key:
- In the right pane, delete the value:
"djebmm350.exe" = "%Userprofile%\Local Settings\Temp\djebmm350.exe"
- Navigate to and delete the following registry keys, if present:
- Exit the Registry Editor.
- Delete the following folder:
- Delete the following files:
- Restart the computer.
- Start your Symantec antivirus program and make sure that it is configured to scan all the files.
- Run a full system scan.
- If any files are detected as infected with Adware.MoeMoney, click Delete.
- Using Windows Explorer, delete the folder, C:\Program Files\EbatesMoeMoneyMaker.