Removing this adware component from the system will likely cause the program that installed it to not function as intended. The uninstaller generally identifies the programs that will not work after uninstallation.
The following instructions pertain to all Symantec antivirus products that support Security Risk detection.
- Update the definitions.
- Restart the computer in Safe mode or end the adware process.
- Close Internet Explorer if it is open.
- Delete the value that was added to the registry.
- Run a full system scan and delete all the files detected as Adware.Fastwebfinder.
- Reset the Internet Explorer home page and Search pages.
For specific details on each of these steps, read the following instructions.
1. Updating the definitions
To obtain the most recent definitions, start your Symantec program and run LiveUpdate.
2. Restarting the computer in Safe mode or ending the malicious process
Shut down the computer and turn off the power. Wait for at least 30 seconds, and then restart the computer in Safe mode. For instructions, read the document, "How to start the computer in Safe Mode."
To end the malicious process:
3. Closing Internet Explorer
- Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete once.
- Click Task Manager.
- Click the Processes tab.
- Double-click the Image Name column header to alphabetically sort the processes.
- Scroll through the list and look for Ld.exe.
- If you find the file, click it, and then click End Process.
- Exit the Task Manager.
Make sure that the Internet Explorer windows are not closed. Do not open Internet Explorer until the removal is finished, or you may activate the adware.
4. Deleting the value that was added to the registry.
Symantec strongly recommends that you back up the registry before making any changes to it. Incorrect changes to the registry can result in permanent data loss or corrupted files. Modify the specified keys only. Read the document, "How to make a backup of the Windows registry
," for instructions.
5. Scanning for and deleting the files
- Click Start, and then click Run. (The Run dialog box appears.)
- Type regedit
Then click OK. (The Registry Editor opens.)
- Navigate to the key:
- In the right pane, delete the value:
- Exit the Registry Editor.
6. Resetting the Internet Explorer home page and Search pages
- Start your Symantec antivirus program and run a full system scan.
- If any files are detected as Adware.Fastwebfinder, click Delete.
- Start Microsoft Internet Explorer.
- Connect to the Internet and go to the page that you want to set as your home page.
- Click Tools, and then click Internet Options.
- In the Home page section of the General tab, click Use Current, and then click OK.
- Click the Search icon on the toolbar.
- In the Search pane, click Customize.
- Click Reset.
- Click Autosearch Settings.
- Choose a search site from the drop-down list, and then click OK.
- Click OK.