The following instructions pertain to all Symantec antivirus products that support Security Risk detection.
- Update the definitions.
- Uninstall Spyware.AdvancedKey.
- Restart the computer in Safe mode.
- Run a full system scan and delete all the files detected as Spyware.AdvancedKey.
- Delete the value that was added to the registry.
For specific details on each of these steps, read the following instructions.
1. To update definitions
To obtain the most recent definitions, start your Symantec program and run LiveUpdate.
2. To uninstall the Spyware
3. To restart the computer in Safe mode
- Navigate to the %Windir%\IDDE folder.
- Double-click Uninstall.exe to launch the uninstall program.
Shut down the computer and turn off the power. Wait for at least 30 seconds, and then restart the computer in Safe mode or VGA mode. For instructions, read the document, "How to start the computer in Safe Mode.
4. To scan for and delete the files
5. To delete the value from the registry
- Start Norton AntiVirus and make sure that it is configured to scan all the files. For more information, read the document, "How to configure Norton AntiVirus to scan all files."
- Run a full system scan.
- If any files are detected as Spyware.AdvancedKey, click Delete.
Note: If your Symantec antivirus product reports that it cannot delete a detected file, write down the path and file names. Then use Windows Explorer to locate and delete the file.
Symantec strongly recommends that you back up the registry before making any changes to it. Incorrect changes to the registry can result in permanent data loss or corrupted files. Modify the specified keys only. Read the document, "How to make a backup of the Windows registry
," for instructions.
This is done to make sure that all the keys are removed. They may not be there if the uninstaller removed them.
- Click Start > Run.
- Type regedit
then click OK.
- Navigate to the key:
- In the left pane, delete the subkey:
- Navigate to, and delete the keys:
- Exit the Registry Editor.