- March 22, 2005
- February 13, 2007 12:35:51 PM
- Trojan Horse
SymbOS.Drever.B is a Trojan horse that disables certain Symbian OS antivirus programs by overwriting their startup files. The antivirus program affected by this Trojan is SimWorks Anti-Virus for Symbian OS.
It has been reported that the Trojan can be downloaded as a file named Simworks_update.sis. (This Trojan may be located inside a compressed file named Simworks_update.zip.) The file appears as an update for the Symbian program, SimWorks AntiVirus Software.
Symantec recommends the following to protect against this threat:
- If Bluetooth is not required, it should be turned off.
- If you require the use of Bluetooth, ensure that the device's visibility setting is set to "Hidden" so that it can not be scanned by other Bluetooth devices.
- Avoid use of device pairing. If it must be used, ensure that all paired devices are set to "Unauthorized". This requires each connection request to be authorized by the user.
- Do not accept unsigned applications (no digital signature) or applications sent from unknown sources. Be absolutely sure of the origin of the application before accepting it.
Antivirus Protection Dates
Initial Rapid Release version March 25, 2005
Latest Rapid Release version August 30, 2016 revision 005
Initial Daily Certified version March 25, 2005
Latest Daily Certified version August 30, 2016 revision 009
Initial Weekly Certified release date March 25, 2005
Click for a more detailed description of Rapid Release and Daily Certified virus definitions.
Writeup By: Robert X Wang