- December 13, 2006
- February 13, 2007 1:02:49 PM
- Windows 2000, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Me, Windows NT, Windows Server 2003, Windows XP
W32.Sagevo is a worm that spreads by exploiting the Symantec Client Security and Symantec AntiVirus Elevation of Privilege (as described in Symantec Advisory SYM06-010
). The worm lowers security settings and may download other threats.
- This worm attempts to exploit a previously addressed vulnerability in Symantec Client Security and Symantec Antivirus, SYM06-010; patches for the particular Symantec product vulnerability have been available since Thursday, May 25th, 2006. As a result, customers who have applied the patch in their environment are unaffected by the worm's attempt to leverage the Symantec vulnerability for an attack. Customers running Symantec Client Security or Symantec intrusion prevention (IPS) capable products are protected against all known and unknown exploits of SYM06-010 via IPS signatures released on May 26th, 2006.
- Symantec highly recommends that users of the affected products patch their systems as soon as they are able to help avoid the spread of this particular Sybot worm family. If systems are infected with W32.Sagevo and this security patch has not been applied please read the document, Attempting to migrate from 10.x to a newer version fails after becoming infected with a worm which exploits SYM06-010.
- IPS signatures against all known and unknown exploits of SYM06-010 were released on May 26, 2006.
- Excessive network traffic caused by an infection may result in a significant degradation of network performance.
Antivirus Protection Dates
Initial Rapid Release version December 14, 2006
Latest Rapid Release version September 28, 2010 revision 054
Initial Daily Certified version December 14, 2006
Latest Daily Certified version September 28, 2010 revision 036
Initial Weekly Certified release date December 20, 2006
Click for a more detailed description of Rapid Release and Daily Certified virus definitions.
Writeup By: Stephen Doherty