How we act defines us to the world
Sustainability at Vision Symposium
As a responsible corporation operating in an increasingly interconnected world, we are committed to do our part to role model smart and sustainable event best practices for our flagship conferences. By integrating sustainability principles into our events we will not only minimize the environmental footprint, benefit for social impact, but also improve their quality and experience.
Symantec began integrating a comprehensive event sustainability strategy into our event plans for the first time with our Vision EMEA 2012 conference in Barcelona. We invite you to learn more in the Vision EMEA Event Sustainability Report
which outlines our approach in line with international standards of sustainability for events. This approach serves as the foundation of our global Sustainable Events Initiative and we have continued to build on existing best practices.
Some ways we are working on to minimize our event’s footprint and contribute positively to the host destination to maximize legacy benefits are shown below.
As part of the “reduce, reuse, recycle”-approach you will see these initiatives when you come to Vision Symposium:
In an ongoing effort to implementing sound environmental practices, Symantec has initiated the following initiatives:
- Rethink and engage with team members, venue Park Plaza Riverbank and suppliers to support event sustainability targets through collaboration to more sustainable processes and products.
- Integration of sustainable sourcing processes by including Symantec’s expectations for supplier’s sustainable measures in contracts and holding briefing session for vendors.
- Sustainable conference Food & Beverage: menus are chosen with local, organic, and sustainable products when possible; Filtered tab water will be served in jugs; fair trade tea and coffee throughout the event
- Provide fair trade tea and coffee throughout the event
- Waste reduction: waste prevention considered throughout event design.
- Reusable and ecologically friendly supplier event properties, signage, expo and keynote showcase and carpets whenever possible.
- Use of Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certified paper for event Trifold and any other printed materials.
- Recycling box will be available for name badges and lanyards.
- Report: Measure and report of results and impacts like waste diversion for landfill, compost, and recyclables, degree of local and organic menu items among other.
- Engagement – Raise sustainability awareness, foster pro-environmental behavior and sustainable lifestyles.
Symantec aims to support legacy programs at local communities surrounding events to receive education, donations and legacies. Following initiatives are being implemented for London:
- Provide information on the importance of contributing to a sustainable community wherever we are, wherever we go and encourage behavior change.
- Provide children education for Sustainable Development allowing every human being to acquire the knowledge, skills, attitudes and values necessary to shape a sustainable future.
- Encourage everyone to be mindful on what can be done towards environmental and social sustainability.
Join Us To Make a Difference
In the fight against climate change, we continue to team up with Plant-for-the-Planet
, to build awareness of environmental concerns through following activities.
This non-profit organization is a children’s initiative that aims to raise awareness amongst children and adults about the issues of climate change and global justice. Plant-for-the-Planet was founded in January 2007 following a school project on climate change by Felix Finkbeiner then 9 years old. In his project, Felix developed a vision of children planting one million trees in each country worldwide to help offset global carbon emissions. Plant-for-the-Planet has since grown into a global movement with around 100,000 children in over 100 countries involved.
Academy for children
from London schools on 20 October 2014.
- All the young people who attend Academy become Climate Justice Ambassadors
- Climate Justice Ambassadors are young people who have already been trained through attending an Academy and are equipped to take their important message to friends, family, politicians, the business world and anyone who will give them an audience. They will also be invited to lecture at future Academies.
- The Plant-for-the-Planet Academies are distinguished as an official project under the "UN Decade of Education for Sustainable Development" - an educational concept whereby children and adults negotiate over sustainable thinking and actions.
Take the pledge here to commit to plant a tree. You can plant pledged trees by::
- Planting a tree yourself
- Entrusting Plant-for-the-Planet to plant 1 tree for every €1 donated
Watch the keynote of Felix Finkbeiner, Founder of Plant-for-the-Planet, at Vision EMEA 2012 in Barcelona, then 15 years old.
To learn more about this cause
we encourage you and your children to read their online book “Tree by Tree”
also available for download in 7 languages.
Follow Plant-for-the-Planet: “Stop Talking. Start Planting”
, Twitter: @pftp_int.
Every Action Helps - What You Can Do
Every little change in your daily habits can help the environment. We would like to encourage you in joining us in making Vision Symposium a more environmentally friendly conference.
Making a difference by reducing your event impact is very simple. It could be as easy as turning off the lights, TV, radio, laptops and air-conditioning / heater when you leave your hotel room.
Here are some suggestions on efforts to reduce, reuse and recycle while planning your travel and at the conference.
- If coming by plane, use the most direct flight option because it cuts down on carbon emissions.
- Try car-sharing or sharing a taxi with a colleague.
- Use London’s accessible public transportation whenever possible: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/
- Use the smart urban walking planner or download the app – it’s quick, free, healthy and green: http://walkit.com/
- Be sure to shut drapes, turn off lights, TV, laptops and radio when you leave your room.
- Turn down heating/air conditioning in unoccupied rooms.
- Unplug your phone charger and laptop when you are not using them.
- Recycle your badges: look for the Recycle Badge Box at the conference service area when you leave and leave any unwanted conference supplies at the conference service desk.
- Pledge to plant a tree at home before you leave.
Options to plant pledged trees: by planting yourself or by entrusting Plant-for-the-Planet to plant 1 tree for every € donated.
We will continue to evaluate opportunities to decrease our event impact on the environment while maintaining a high level of attendee satisfaction. There are still many opportunities to improve and we welcome your feedback